Preble County, Ohio Genealogy GuideOH Birth, Death, Marriage,
Divorce & Death Records
OH Ancestor Records
OH Military Databases
OH Data Collections
OH Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Preble County, Ohio (Map It) was created on March 1, 1808 from Butler County and Montgomery County. This county was named for Captain Edward Preble (1761-1807), a Naval commander in theRevolutionary War . Learn More About State of Ohio History
Preble County is bordered by Darke County (north), Montgomery County (east), Butler County (south), Union County, Indiana (southwest), Wayne County, Indiana (northwest) .. A Map of Preble County, Ohio contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Preble County Cities and Towns include Eaton, College Corner, Camden, Eldorado, Gratis, Lewisburg, New Paris, Verona, West Alexandria, West Elkton, West Manchester. Other communities include Include Fairhaven. A Map of Preble County, Ohio contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Preble County Townships include Dixon, Gasper, Gratis, Harrison, Israel, Jackson, Jefferson, Lanier, Monroe, Somers, Twin, Washington.
Preble County, Ohio Courthouse Records
Preble County, OH Courthouse
Preble County, OH Township Map
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Preble county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Preble County Clerk of Probate Court has Marriage Records from 1808 and Probate Records from 1808. The County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts.
- Preble County Recorder has Land Records from 1805. The County Recorder has the duty of keeping specific records which may include: deeds, mortgages, military discharges, plats, etc.
- Preble County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas has Court Records from 1808. The County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- The Preble County Health Department has Birth & Death Records from 1908-Present. For birth and death records prior to Dec. 20, 1908, contact the Probate Court of this county.
Preble County, Ohio Census Records
- Learn More: State of Ohio Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1810 (destroyed), 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Preble County, Ohio Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Ohio Vital Records
- Birth Records: from 1908 to present
- Marriage Records: None. See County Probate Court.
- Death Records: from 1954 to present
- Divorce Records: None. See County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas.
- Locations: Ohio Office of Vital Statistics, Ohio Local Health Departments
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Preble County, Ohio Resources
- State of Ohio Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Ohio
- Preble County Chapter, OGS
- Preble County Historical Society
- Lewisburg Historical Society, 6318 Depot Ln, Lewisburg, OH 45338-6738; Phone: (937) 962-2493
- Preble County, Ohio Message Boards
- Preble County, Ohio Genealogy Forum
Preble County, Ohio External Links
- Historical Newspapers from Ohio (1802 - 1970)
- Preble County Genealogical & Historical Records Search
- Preble County, Ohio Books - Amazon
- Preble County, Ohio Marriage Records Vol. I 1808-1830 and Vol. II 1831-1840
- Preble County, Ohio Common Pleas Court Records 1810-1850
- Preble County, Ohio Deed Records 1808-1821
- Preble County, Ohio Wills Vol. I 1806-1836 Vol. II 1836-1854
- Preble County, Ohio Cemetery Inscriptions