Muskingum County, Ohio Genealogy GuideOH Birth, Death, Marriage,
Divorce & Death Records
OH Ancestor Records
OH Military Databases
OH Data Collections
OH Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Muskingum County, Ohio (Map It) was created on March 1, 1803 from Fairfield County and Washington County. This county was named for the Native American word meaning "A town by the river" or a Native American word meaning "by the river side" . Learn More About State of Ohio History
Muskingum County is bordered by Coshocton County (north), Guernsey County (east), Noble County (southeast), Morgan County (south), Perry County (southwest), Licking County (west) .. A Map of Muskingum County, Ohio contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Muskingum County Cities and Towns include Zanesville, Adamsville, Dresden, Frazeysburg, Fultonham, Gratiot, New Concord, Norwich, Philo, Roseville, South Zanesville. Other communities include Adams Mills, Blue Rock, Chandlersville, Duncan Falls, East Fultonham, Hopewell, Nashport, Trinway, White Cottage, North Zanesville, Pleasant Grove. A Map of Muskingum County, Ohio contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Muskingum County Townships include Adams, Blue Rock, Brush Creek, Cass, Clay, Falls, Harrison, Highland, Hopewell, Jackson, Jefferson, Licking, Madison, Meigs, Monroe, Muskingum, Newton, Perry, Rich Hill, Salem, Salt Creek, Springfield, Union, Washington, Wayne.
Muskingum County, Ohio Courthouse Records
Muskingum County, OH Courthouse
Muskingum County, OH Township Map
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Muskingum county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Muskingum County Clerk of Probate Court has Marriage Records from 1804 and Probate Records from 1804. The County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts.
- Muskingum County Recorder has Land Records from 1800. The County Recorder has the duty of keeping specific records which may include: deeds, mortgages, military discharges, plats, etc.
- Muskingum County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas has Court Records from 1804. The County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- The Muskingum County Health Department has Birth & Death Records from 1908-Present. For birth and death records prior to Dec. 20, 1908, contact the Probate Court of this county.
Muskingum County, Ohio Census Records
- Learn More: State of Ohio Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1810 (destroyed), 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Muskingum County, Ohio Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Ohio Vital Records
- Birth Records: from 1908 to present
- Marriage Records: None. See County Probate Court.
- Death Records: from 1954 to present
- Divorce Records: None. See County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas.
- Locations: Ohio Office of Vital Statistics, Ohio Local Health Departments
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Muskingum County, Ohio Resources
- State of Ohio Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Ohio
- Muskingum County Chapter, OGS
- Lower Muskingum Historical Society
- Pioneer & Historical Society of Muskingum Cty
- Muskingum County, Ohio Message Boards
- Muskingum County, Ohio Genealogy Forum
Muskingum County, Ohio External Links
- Historical Newspapers from Ohio (1802 - 1970)
- Muskingum County Obituaries
- The Times Recorder (Zanesville, Ohio)
- The Zanesville Signal (Zanesville, Ohio)
- Zanesville Daily Courier, The (Zanesville, Ohio)
- Times Signal (Zanesville, Ohio)
- Zanesville Times Signal (Zanesville, Ohio)
- Muskingum County, Ohio Books - Amazon
- Muskingum County Cemeteries