Miami County, Ohio Genealogy Guide
|Other OH Resources|
|OH Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
OH Ancestor Records
OH Military Databases
OH Data Collections
OH Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Miami County is bordered by Shelby County ( north), Champaign County (northeast), Clark County (southeast), Montgomery County (south), Darke County (west) .. A Map of Miami County, Ohio contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Miami County Cities and Towns include Huber Heights, Piqua, Tipp City, Troy, Union, Bradford, Casstown, Covington, Fletcher, Laura, Ludlow Falls, Pleasant Hill, Potsdam, West Milton. Other communities include Brandt, Conover, Phoneton, West Charleston. A Map of Miami County, Ohio contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Miami County Townships include Bethel, Brown, Concord, Elizabeth, Lost Creek, Monroe, Newberry, Newton, Spring Creek, Staunton, Union, Washington.
Miami County, Ohio Courthouse Records
Miami County, OH Courthouse
Miami County, OH Township Map
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Miami county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Miami County Clerk of Probate Court has Marriage Records from 1807 and Probate Records from 1807. The County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts.
- Miami County Recorder has Land Records from 1807. The County Recorder has the duty of keeping specific records which may include: deeds, mortgages, military discharges, plats, etc.
- Miami County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas has Court Records from 1804. The County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- The Miami County Health Department has Birth & Death Records from 1908-Present. For birth and death records prior to Dec. 20, 1908, contact the Probate Court of this county.
Miami County, Ohio Census Records
- Learn More: State of Ohio Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1810 (destroyed), 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Miami County, Ohio Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Ohio Vital Records
- Birth Records: from 1908 to present
- Marriage Records: None. See County Probate Court.
- Death Records: from 1954 to present
- Divorce Records: None. See County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas.
- Locations: Ohio Office of Vital Statistics, Ohio Local Health Departments
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Miami County, Ohio Resources
- State of Ohio Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Ohio
- Miami County Historical & Genealogical Society, OGS
- Covington-Newberry Historical Society
- Oakes-Beitman Memorial Library & Museum
- Rossville-Spring Creek Historical Society, PO Box 627, Piqua, OH 45356-0627
- Tippecanoe Historical Society, 20 N Third, PO Box 42, Tipp City, OH 45371-0042; Phone: (937) 667-3768
- Troy Historical Society
- Union Township Heritage Association , 47 N Miami St, West Milton, OH 45383-1825; Phone: (937) 698-3820
- Waco Historical Society, 306 S Ridge Ave, Troy, OH 45373-3012; Phone: (937) 339-5037
- Western Shaker Study Group
- Troy Miami County Library, 419 W Main St, Troy, OH 45373; 937-339-0502
- Oakes-Beitman Library, 2 North Main Street, Pleasant Hill, Ohio 45359
- J.R. Clark Public Library, Local History Room, East Spring St., Covington, Ohio 45318
- Flesh Public Library, History Department, 124 West Green Street, Piqua, Ohio 45356; (937) 773-6753
- Miami County, Ohio Message Boards
- Miami County, Ohio Genealogy Forum