Lorain County, Ohio Genealogy GuideOH Birth, Death, Marriage,
Divorce & Death Records
OH Ancestor Records
OH Military Databases
OH Data Collections
OH Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Lorain County, Ohio (Map It) was created on December 26, 1822 from Cuyahoga County, Huron County and Medina County. This county was named for the Province of Lorraine, France . Learn More About State of Ohio History
Lorain County is bordered by Ontario, Canada (north), Cuyahoga County (east), Medina County (southeast), Ashland County (south), Huron County (southwest), Erie County (west) .. A Map of Lorain County, Ohio contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Lorain County Cities and Towns include Amherst, Elyria, Oberlin, Avon, Lorain, Sheffield Lake, Avon Lake, North Ridgeville, Vermilion, Grafton, Rochester, South Amherst, Kipton, Sheffield, Wellington, LaGrange . Other communities include Include Brentwood Lake. A Map of Lorain County, Ohio contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Lorain County Townships include Amherst, Eaton, New Russia, Brighton, Elyria, Penfield, Brownhelm, Grafton, Pittsfield, Camden, Henrietta, Rochester, Carlisle, Huntington, Sheffield, Columbia, LaGrange, Wellington.
Lorain County, Ohio Courthouse Records
Lorain County, OH Courthouse
Lorain County, OH Township Map
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Lorain county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Lorain County Clerk of Probate Court has Marriage Records from 1824 and Probate Records from 1840. The County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts.
- Lorain County Recorder has Land Records from ?. The County Recorder has the duty of keeping specific records which may include: deeds, mortgages, military discharges, plats, etc.
- Lorain County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas has Court Records from 1824. The County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- The Lorain County Health Department has Birth & Death Records from 1908-Present. For birth and death records prior to Dec. 20, 1908, contact the Probate Court of this county.
Lorain County, Ohio Census Records
- Learn More: State of Ohio Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Lorain County, Ohio Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Ohio Vital Records
- Birth Records: from 1908 to present
- Marriage Records: None. See County Probate Court.
- Death Records: from 1954 to present
- Divorce Records: None. See County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas.
- Locations: Ohio Office of Vital Statistics, Ohio Local Health Departments
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Lorain County, Ohio Resources
- State of Ohio Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Ohio
- Lorain County Chapter, OGS
- Lorain County Historical Society
- Amherst Historical Society
- Avon Historical Society
- Belden Historical Society, 246 Miller Ct, Elyria, OH 44035-8118; Phone: (440) 926-2680
- Black River Historical Society
- Carlisle Township Historical Society
- Columbia Historical Society Inc
- Grafton Village History Association
- North Ridgeville Historical Society Inc
- Oberlin Heritage Center
- Pittsfield Township Historical Society
- Rochester Historical Society
- Sheffield Village Historical Society & Cultural Center
- Southern Lorain County Historical Society
- Lorain County, Ohio Message Boards
- Lorain County, Ohio Genealogy Forum
Lorain County, Ohio External Links
- Historical Newspapers from Ohio (1802 - 1970)
- Lorain County Probate Online Records Search 1990-present
- Lorain County: Amherst News-Times Obituaries Index
- Chronicle Telegram, The (Elyria, Ohio)
- Evening Telegram (Elyria, Ohio)
- The Elyria Chronicle (Elyria, Ohio)
- Elyria Reporter, The (Elyria, Ohio)
- Elyria Republican, The (Elyria, Ohio)
- Lorain County, Ohio Books - Amazon
- Lorain Co., Ohio - FindaGrave
- History of north central Ohio
- Reminiscences of Elyria, Ohio
- The early history of Lorain County
- A history of the First Congregational Church of Wellington, Ohio
- Lorain County, Ohio Links - Cyndi's List
- Lorain Co. OHGenweb
- Lorain County Genealogy Queries
- Lorain County, Ohio Ancestry Database Collections
- Ohio Military Records
- Oberlin High School Alumni Association