Lake County, Ohio Genealogy GuideOH Birth, Death, Marriage,
Divorce & Death Records
OH Ancestor Records
OH Military Databases
OH Data Collections
OH Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Lake County is bordered by Ontario, Canada (north), Ashtabula County (east), Geauga County (south and east), Cuyahoga County (south and west) .. A Map of Lake County, Ohio contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Lake County Cities and Towns include Eastlake, Kirtland, Mentor, Mentor-on-the-Lake, Painesville, Wickliffe, Willoughby, Willoughby Hills, Willowick, Fairport Harbor, Grand River, Kirtland Hills, Lakeline, Madison, North Perry, Perry, Timberlake, Waite Hill. Other communities include Include Painesville-on-the-Lake. A Map of Lake County, Ohio contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Lake County Townships include Concord, LeRoy, Madison, Painesville, Perry.
Lake County, Ohio Courthouse Records
Lake County, OH Courthouse
Lake County, OH Township Map
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Lake county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Lake County Clerk of Probate Court has Marriage Records from 1840 and Probate Records from 1853. The County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts.
- Lake County Recorder has Land Records from 1839. The County Recorder has the duty of keeping specific records which may include: deeds, mortgages, military discharges, plats, etc.
- Lake County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas has Court Records from 1840. The County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- The Lake County Health Department has Birth & Death Records from 1908-Present. For birth and death records prior to Dec. 20, 1908, contact the Probate Court of this county.
Lake County, Ohio Census Records
- Learn More: State of Ohio Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Lake County, Ohio Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Ohio Vital Records
- Birth Records: from 1908 to present
- Marriage Records: None. See County Probate Court.
- Death Records: from 1954 to present
- Divorce Records: None. See County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas.
- Locations: Ohio Office of Vital Statistics, Ohio Local Health Departments
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Lake County, Ohio Resources
- State of Ohio Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Ohio
- Lake County Chapter, OGS
- Lake County Historical Society
- Greater Buckeye Lake Historical Society
- Great Lakes Historical Society
- Morley Library
- Lake Erie Islands Historical Society
- Indian Museum of Lake County
- Lake Township Historical Society
- Lakeside Heritage Society Inc
- Lakewood Historical Society
- Nesmith Lake Historical Society, 475 W Waterloo Rd #5, Akron, OH 44314-3466; Phone: (330) 753-4501;
- Perry Historical Society of Lake County
- Portage Lakes Historical Society, 3560 Peninsula Dr, Akron, OH 44319-2933; Phone: (330) 644-4547
- Lake County, Ohio Message Boards
- Lake County, Ohio Genealogy Forum