Hancock County, Ohio Genealogy Guide
|Other OH Resources|
|OH Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
OH Ancestor Records
OH Military Databases
OH Data Collections
OH Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Hancock County, Ohio (Map It) was created on April 1, 1820 from Logan County, Delaware County and Wood County. This county was named for John Hancock (1737-1793), president of the Continental Congress. Learn More About State of Ohio History
Hancock County is bordered by Wood County (north), Seneca County (northeast), Wyandot County (southeast), Hardin County (south), Allen County (southwest), Putnam County (west), Henry County (northwest corner) .. A Map of Hancock County, Ohio contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Hancock County Cities and Towns include Findlay, Fostoria, Arcadia, Arlington, Benton Ridge, Jenera, McComb, Mount Blanchard, Mount Cory, Rawson, Van Buren, Vanlue. Other communities include Mortimer, Williamstown . A Map of Hancock County, Ohio contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Hancock County Townships include Allen, Amanda, Biglick, Blanchard, Cass, Delaware, Eagle, Jackson, Liberty, Madison, Marion, Orange, Pleasant, Portage, Union, Van Buren, Washington.
Hancock County, Ohio Courthouse Records
Hancock County, OH Courthouse
Hancock County, OH Township Map
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Hancock county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered. Some records in Wood County for 1820-1828.
- Hancock County Clerk of Probate Court has Marriage Records from 1828 and Probate Records from 1828. The County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts.
- Hancock County Recorder has Land Records from 1820. The County Recorder has the duty of keeping specific records which may include: deeds, mortgages, military discharges, plats, etc.
- Hancock County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas has Court Records from 1828. The County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- The Hancock County Health Department has Birth & Death Records from 1908-Present. For birth and death records prior to Dec. 20, 1908, contact the Probate Court of this county.
Hancock County, Ohio Census Records
- Learn More: State of Ohio Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Hancock County, Ohio Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Ohio Vital Records
- Birth Records: from 1908 to present
- Marriage Records: None. See County Probate Court.
- Death Records: from 1954 to present
- Divorce Records: None. See County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas.
- Locations: Ohio Office of Vital Statistics, Ohio Local Health Departments
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Hancock County, Ohio Resources
- State of Ohio Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Ohio
- Hancock County Chapter, OGS
- Eagle Creek Historical Organization , PO Box 143, Arlington, OH 45814-0143; Phone: (419) 365-5418
- Forest Area Historical Society
- Hancock Historical Museum Association
- Hancock County, Ohio Message Boards
- Hancock County, Ohio Genealogy Forum