Fayette County, Ohio Genealogy Guide
|Other OH Resources|
|OH Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
OH Ancestor Records
OH Military Databases
OH Data Collections
OH Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Fayette County, Ohio (Map It) was created on March 1, 1810 from Highland County and Ross County. This county was named for Marquis de Lafayette, French military officer and aristocrat who participated in both the American and French revolutions. Learn More About State of Ohio History
Fayette County is bordered by Madison County (north), Pickaway County (northeast), Ross County (southeast), Highland County (south), Clinton County (southwest), Greene County (northwest) .. A Map of Fayette County, Ohio contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Fayette County Cities and Towns include Washington Court House, Bloomingburg, Jeffersonville, Milledgeville, New Holland, Octa. Other communities include Include Good Hope . A Map of Fayette County, Ohio contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Fayette County Townships include Concord, Green, Jasper, Jefferson, Madison, Marion, Paint, Perry, Union, Wayne.
Fayette County, Ohio Courthouse Records
Fayette County, OH Courthouse
Fayette County, OH Township Map
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Fayette county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Fayette County Clerk of Probate Court has Marriage Records from 1810 and Probate Records from 1810. The County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts.
- Fayette County Recorder has Land Records from 1810. The County Recorder has the duty of keeping specific records which may include: deeds, mortgages, military discharges, plats, etc.
- Fayette County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas has Court Records from 1882. The County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- The Fayette County Health Department has Birth & Death Records from 1908-Present. For birth and death records prior to Dec. 20, 1908, contact the Probate Court of this county.
Fayette County, Ohio Census Records
- Learn More: State of Ohio Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Fayette County, Ohio Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Ohio Vital Records
- Birth Records: from 1908 to present
- Marriage Records: None. See County Probate Court.
- Death Records: from 1954 to present
- Divorce Records: None. See County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas.
- Locations: Ohio Office of Vital Statistics, Ohio Local Health Departments
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Fayette County, Ohio Resources
- State of Ohio Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Ohio
- Fayette County Chapter, OGS
- Fayette County Historical Society
- Carnegie Public Library, 127 S North St. , Washington Court House, OH 43160; 740-335-2540
- Fayette County, Ohio Message Boards
- Fayette County, Ohio Genealogy Forum