Clinton County, Ohio Genealogy GuideOH Birth, Death, Marriage,
Divorce & Death Records
OH Ancestor Records
OH Military Databases
OH Data Collections
OH Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Clinton County, Ohio (Map It) was created on March 1, 1810 from Highland County and Warren County. This county was named for George Clinton (1739-1812), vice-president when the county was organized. Learn More About State of Ohio History
Clinton County is bordered by Greene County (north), Fayette County (northeast), Highland County (southeast), Brown County (south), Clermont County (southwest), Warren County (west) .. A Map of Clinton County, Ohio contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Clinton County Cities and Towns include Wilmington, Blanchester, Clarksville, Lynchburg, Martinsville, Midland, New Vienna, Port William, Sabina. . Other communities include Cuba, Reesville. A Map of Clinton County, Ohio contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Clinton County Townships include Adams, Chester, Clark, Green, Jefferson, Liberty, Marion, Richland, Union, Vernon, Washington, Wayne, Wilson.
Clinton County, Ohio Courthouse Records
Clinton County, OH Courthouse
Clinton County, OH Township Map
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Clinton county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Clinton County Clerk of Probate Court has Marriage Records from 1817 and Probate Records from 1810. The County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts.
- Clinton County Recorder has Land Records from 1806. The County Recorder has the duty of keeping specific records which may include: deeds, mortgages, military discharges, plats, etc.
- Clinton County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas has Court Records from 1810. The County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- The Clinton County Health Department has Birth & Death Records from 1908-Present. For birth and death records prior to Dec. 20, 1908, contact the Probate Court of this county.
Clinton County, Ohio Census Records
- Learn More: State of Ohio Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Clinton County, Ohio Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Ohio Vital Records
- Birth Records: from 1908 to present
- Marriage Records: None. See County Probate Court.
- Death Records: from 1954 to present
- Divorce Records: None. See County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas.
- Locations: Ohio Office of Vital Statistics, Ohio Local Health Departments
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Clinton County, Ohio Resources
- State of Ohio Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Ohio
- Clinton County Chapter, OGS
- Clinton County Historical Society
- Blanchester Area Historical Society , 206 W Main St, Blanchester, OH 45107-1134; Phone: (937) 783-4132
- Wilmington College Archives & Quaker College
- Clinton County, Ohio Message Boards
- Clinton County, Ohio Genealogy Forum