Belmont County, Ohio Genealogy GuideOH Birth, Death, Marriage,
Divorce & Death Records
OH Ancestor Records
OH Military Databases
OH Data Collections
OH Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Belmont County, Ohio (Map It) was created on September 7, 1801 from Jefferson County and Washington County. This county was named for Belle monte, which means "beautiful mountain" in French . Learn More About State of Ohio History
Belmont County is bordered by Harrison County (north), Jefferson County (northeast), Ohio County, West Virginia (east), Marshall County, West Virginia (southeast), Monroe County (south), Noble County (southwest), Guernsey County (west) .. A Map of Belmont County, Ohio contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Belmont County Cities and Towns include Martins Ferry, St. Clairsville, Barnesville, Bellaire, Belmont, Bethesda, Bridgeport, Brookside, Fairview, Flushing, Holloway, Morristown, Powhatan Point, Shadyside, Wilson, Yorkville. Other communities include Alledonia, Bannock, Barton, Blaine, Colerain, Fairpoint, Glencoe, Jacobsburg, Lafferty, Lansing, Maynard, Riverview, Warnock. A Map of Belmont County, Ohio contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Belmont County Townships include Colerain, Flushing, Goshen, Kirkwood, Mead, Pease, Pultney, Richland, Smith, Somerset, Union, Warren, Washington, Wayne, Wheeling, York.
Belmont County, Ohio Courthouse Records
Belmont County, OH Courthouse
Belmont County, OH Township Map
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Belmont county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Belmont County Clerk of Probate Court has Marriage Records from 1803 and Probate Records from 1804. The County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts.
- Belmont County Recorder has Land Records from 1800. The County Recorder has the duty of keeping specific records which may include: deeds, mortgages, military discharges, plats, etc.
- Belmont County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas has Court Records from 1804. The County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- The Belmont County Health Department has Birth & Death Records from 1908-Present. For birth and death records prior to Dec. 20, 1908, contact the Probate Court of this county.
Belmont County, Ohio Census Records
- Learn More: State of Ohio Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1810 (destroyed), 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Belmont County, Ohio Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Ohio Vital Records
- Birth Records: from 1908 to present
- Marriage Records: None. See County Probate Court.
- Death Records: from 1954 to present
- Divorce Records: None. See County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas.
- Locations: Ohio Office of Vital Statistics, Ohio Local Health Departments
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Belmont County, Ohio Resources
- State of Ohio Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Ohio
- Belmont County Chapter, OGS
- Belmont County Historical Society, PO Box 434, Barnesville, OH 43713-0434; Phone: (740) 484-4716
- Martins Ferry Area Historical Society
- Underground Railroad Museum
- Belmont County, Ohio Message Boards
- Belmont County, Ohio Genealogy Forum