Ashtabula County, Ohio Genealogy Guide
|Other OH Resources|
|OH Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
OH Ancestor Records
OH Military Databases
OH Data Collections
OH Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Ashtabula County, Ohio (Map It) was created on June 7, 1807 from Geauga County and Trumbull County. This county was named for Ashtabula River, which means "fish river" in an Algonquian language. Learn More About State of Ohio History
Ashtabula County is bordered by province of Ontario, Canada (north), Erie County, Pennsylvaina (northeast), Crawford County, Pennsylvaina (east), Trumbull County (south), Geauga County (southwest), Lake County (west).. A Map of Ashtabula County, Ohio contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Ashtabula County Cities and Towns include Ashtabula, Conneaut, Geneva, Andover, Geneva-on-the-Lake, Jefferson, North Kingsville, Orwell, Roaming Shores, Rock Creek. Other communities include Austinburg, Dorset, Kingsville, Pierpont, Unionville, Williamsfield, Windsor. A Map of Ashtabula County, Ohio contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Ashtabula County Townships include Andover, Ashtabula, Austinburg, Cherry Valley, Colebrook, Denmark, Dorset, Geneva, Harpersfield, Hartsgrove, Jefferson, Kingsville, Lenox, Monroe, Morgan, New Lyme, Orwell, Pierpont, Plymouth, Richmond, Rome, Saybrook, Sheffield, Trumbull, Wayne, Williamsfield, Windsor.
Ashtabula County, Ohio Courthouse Records
Ashtabula County, OH Courthouse
Ashtabula County, OH Township Map
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Ashtabula county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Ashtabula County Clerk of Probate Court has Marriage Records from 1812 and Probate Records from 1811. The County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts.
- Ashtabula County Recorder has Land Records from 1798. The County Recorder has the duty of keeping specific records which may include: deeds, mortgages, military discharges, plats, etc.
- Ashtabula County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas has Court Records from ?. The County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- The Ashtabula County Health Department has Birth & Death Records from 1908-Present. For birth and death records prior to Dec. 20, 1908, contact the Probate Court of this county.
Ashtabula County, Ohio Census Records
- Learn More: State of Ohio Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1810 (destroyed), 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Ashtabula County, Ohio Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Ohio Vital Records
- Birth Records: from 1908 to present
- Marriage Records: None. See County Probate Court.
- Death Records: from 1954 to present
- Divorce Records: None. See County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas.
- Locations: Ohio Office of Vital Statistics, Ohio Local Health Departments
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Ashtabula County, Ohio Resources
- State of Ohio Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Ohio
- Ashtabula County Genealogical Society
- Ashtabula County Historical Society
- Conneaut Chapter-National Railway Historical Society
- Conneaut Historical Society
- Harpersfield Heritage Society, 1257 Jobey Trail, Geneva, OH 44041-8801; Phone: (440) 466-1091
- Hubbard House Underground Railroad Museum
- Lenox Historical Society, 73 W Jefferson St, Jefferson, OH 44047-1027; Phone: (440) 576-2681
- Old Brick House Historical Society, PO Box 592, Orwell, OH 44076-0592
- Shandy Hall -WRHS
- Windsor Historical Society
- Geneva Public Library
- Ashtabula County, Ohio Message Boards
- Ashtabula County, Ohio Genealogy Forum