Allen County, Ohio Genealogy GuideOH Birth, Death, Marriage,
Divorce & Death Records
OH Ancestor Records
OH Military Databases
OH Data Collections
OH Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Allen County, Ohio (Map It) was created on March 1, 1820 from Shelby County and unorganized land. This county was named for John Allen (1771/2-1813), a War of 1812 colonel. Learn More About State of Ohio History
Allen County is bordered by Putnam County (north), Hancock County (northeast), Hardin County (east), Auglaize County (south), Van Wert County (west) .. A Map of Allen County, Ohio contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Allen County Cities and Towns include Delphos, Lima, Beaverdam, Bluffton, Cairo, Elida, Ft. Shawnee, Harrod, Lafayette, Spencerville . Other communities include Include Gomer. A Map of Allen County, Ohio contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Allen County Townships include Amanda, American, Auglaize, Bath, Jackson, Marion, Monroe, Perry, Richland, Shawnee, Spencer, Sugar Creek.
Allen County, Ohio Courthouse Records
Allen County, OH Courthouse
Allen County, OH Township Map
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Allen county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Allen County Clerk of Probate Court has Marriage Records from 1831 - Present, Probate Records from 1867 - 1908 and Birth / Death Records from 1867 - 1908. The County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts.
- Allen County Recorder has Land Records from 1831. The County Recorder has the duty of keeping specific records which may include: deeds, mortgages, military discharges, plats, etc.
- Allen County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas has Court Records from 1831. The County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- The Allen County Health Department has Birth & Death Records from 1908-Present. For birth and death records prior to Dec. 20, 1908, contact the Probate Court of this county.
Allen County, Ohio Census Records
- Learn More: State of Ohio Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Allen County, Ohio Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Ohio Vital Records
- Birth Records: from 1908 to present
- Marriage Records: None. See County Probate Court.
- Death Records: from 1954 to present
- Divorce Records: None. See County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas.
- Locations: Ohio Office of Vital Statistics, Ohio Local Health Departments
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Allen County, Ohio Resources
- State of Ohio Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Ohio
- Allen County Chapter, OGS
- Allen County Historical Society
- Daughters of the American Revolution-Ohio Society
- Spencerville Historical Society, PO Box 8, Spencerville, OH 45887-0008; Phone: (419) 236-7913
- Allen County, Ohio Message Boards
- Allen County, Ohio Genealogy Forum
Allen County, Ohio External Links
- Allen Co., Ohio - FindaGrave
- A Portrait and biographical record of Allen and Van Wert Counties, Ohio : containing biographical sketches of many prominent and representative citizens
- History of Allen County, Ohio
- The experiences of a Lima ticket agent in the gay nineties
- Allen County, Ohio Links - Cyndi's List
- Allen Co. OHGenweb
- Allen County, Ohio Ancestry Database Collections
- Ohio Military Records