Summit County, Ohio Genealogy Guide
|Other OH Resources|
|OH Birth, Death, Marriage,
Divorce & Death Records
OH Ancestor Records
OH Military Databases
OH Data Collections
OH Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Summit County, Ohio (Map It) was created on March 3, 1840 from Medina County, Portage County and Stark County. This county was named for having the highest elevation along the Ohio Canal. Learn More About State of Ohio History
Summit County is bordered by Cuyahoga County (north), Portage County (east), Stark County (south), Wayne County (southwest), Medina County (west) .. A Map of Summit County, Ohio contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Summit County Cities and Towns include Akron, Barberton, Cuyahoga Falls, Fairlawn, Green, Hudson, Macedonia, Munroe Falls, New Franklin, Norton, Stow, Tallmadge, Twinsburg, Boston Heights, Clinton, Lakemore, Mogadore, Northfield, Peninsula, Reminderville, Richfield, Silver Lake. Other communities include Montrose-Ghent, Pigeon Creek, Portage Lakes. A Map of Summit County, Ohio contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Summit County Townships include Bath, Boston, Copley, Coventry, Northfield Center, Richfield, Sagamore Hills, Springfield, Twinsburg.
Summit County, Ohio Courthouse Records
Summit County, OH Courthouse
Summit County, OH Township Map
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Summit county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Summit County Clerk of Probate Court has Marriage Records from 1840 and Probate Records from 1839. The County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts.
- Summit County Recorder has Land Records from 1840. The County Recorder has the duty of keeping specific records which may include: deeds, mortgages, military discharges, plats, etc.
- Summit County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas has Court Records from 1840. The County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- The Summit County Health Department has Birth & Death Records from 1908-Present. For birth and death records prior to Dec. 20, 1908, contact the Probate Court of this county.
Summit County, Ohio Census Records
- Learn More: State of Ohio Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Summit County, Ohio Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Ohio Vital Records
- Birth Records: from 1908 to present
- Marriage Records: None. See County Probate Court.
- Death Records: from 1954 to present
- Divorce Records: None. See County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas.
- Locations: Ohio Office of Vital Statistics, Ohio Local Health Departments
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Summit County, Ohio Resources
- State of Ohio Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Ohio
- Summit County Chapter, OGS
- Summit County Historical Society
- Bath Township Historical Society
- Clinton Historical Society
- Copley Township Historical Society
- Council of Historical Institutions & Preservation, 22 Aurora St, Hudson, OH 44236-2947
- Cuyahoga Falls Historical Society
- Fairlawn Archives & Historical Comm
- Gallery of Akron's Black History & Culture, University of Akron, Akron, OH 44325-1801; Phone: (330) 972-7030
- Green Historical Society
- Historical Society of Olde Northfield
- Hudson Heritage Association
- Hudson Library & Historical Society
- Mogadore Historical Society Inc , 87 S Cleveland Ave, Mogadore, OH 44260-1514; Phone: (330) 628-4109
- Munroe Falls Historical Society
- Nesmith Lake Historical Society , 475 W Waterloo Rd #5, Akron, OH 44314-3466; Phone: (330) 753-4501;
- Northampton Historical Society, 211 Washington Ave, Cuyahoga Falls, OH 44221-2323; Phone: (330) 923-6678
- Norton Historical Society
- Peninsula Library & Historical Society
- Portage Lakes Historical Society, 3560 Peninsula Dr, Akron, OH 44319-2933; Phone: (330) 644-4547
- Richfield Historical Society
- Silver Lake Historical Society, 2850 Bellaire Rd, Silver Lake Village, Silver Lake, OH 44224-3008; Phone: (330) 472-4271
- Stow Historical Society, P O Box 1425, Stow, OH 44224-1425; Phone: (330) 688-5888
- Tallmadge Historical Society
- Twinsburg Historical Society
- Summit County, Ohio Message Boards
- Summit County, Ohio Genealogy Forum
Summit County, Ohio External Links
- Historical Newspapers from Ohio (1802 - 1970)
- Summit County, Ohio Books - Amazon
- Ohio, Summit County, Coroner's, Hospital and Cemetery Records, 1882-1947
- Locust Grove Cemetery Burials
- Akron-Summit County Public Library Genealogy Indexes
- Summit Co., Ohio - FindaGrave
- Annals of a parish
- Rubber's home town