Medina County, Ohio Genealogy Guide
|Other OH Resources|
|OH Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
OH Ancestor Records
OH Military Databases
OH Data Collections
OH Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Medina County, Ohio (Map It) was created on February 18, 1812 from Portage County. This county was named for Medina, world-renowned religious site and capital of the Al Madinah Province in western Saudi Arabia. Learn More About State of Ohio History
Medina County is bordered by Cuyahoga County (northeast), Summit County (east), Wayne County (south), Ashland County (southwest), Lorain County (northwest) .. A Map of Medina County, Ohio contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Medina County Cities and Towns include Brunswick, Medina, Rittman, Wadsworth, Chippewa Lake, Creston, Gloria Glens Park, Lodi, Seville, Spencer, Westfield Center. Other communities include Homerville, Litchfield, Valley City. A Map of Medina County, Ohio contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Medina County Townships include Brunswick Hills, Chatham, Granger, Guilford, Harrisville, Hinckley, Homer, Lafayette, Litchfield, Liverpool, Medina, Montville, Sharon, Spencer, Wadsworth, Westfield, York.
Medina County, Ohio Courthouse Records
Medina County, OH Courthouse
AAAAA County, OH Township Map
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Medina county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Medina County Clerk of Probate Court has Marriage Records from 1818 and Probate Records from 1818. The County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts.
- Medina County Recorder has Land Records from 1818. The County Recorder has the duty of keeping specific records which may include: deeds, mortgages, military discharges, plats, etc.
- Medina County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas has Court Records from 1818. The County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- The Medina County Health Department has Birth & Death Records from 1908-Present. For birth and death records prior to Dec. 20, 1908, contact the Probate Court of this county.
AAAAA County, Ohio Census Records
- Learn More: State of Ohio Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
AAAAA County, Ohio Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Ohio Vital Records
- Birth Records: from 1908 to present
- Marriage Records: None. See County Probate Court.
- Death Records: from 1954 to present
- Divorce Records: None. See County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas.
- Locations: Ohio Office of Vital Statistics, Ohio Local Health Departments
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Medina County, Ohio Resources
- State of Ohio Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Ohio
- Medina County Chapter, OGS
- Medina County Historical Society
- Brunswick Area Historical Society
- Chatham Historical Society, 5394 Richman Rd, Litchfield, OH 44253-9706; Phone: (330) 667-2672
- Granger Historical Society, 1261 Ganger Rd, Medina, OH 44256-7337; Phone: (330) 239-2380
- Hinckley Historical Society Inc, PO Box 471, Hinckley, OH 44233-0471; Phone: (330) 278-3159
- Litchfield Historical Society
- Liverpool Township Historical Society
- Lodi Harrisville Historical Society Inc
- Seville Historical Society, PO Box 312, Seville, OH 44273-0312; Phone: (330) 769-3471
- Sharon Township Heritage Society, PO Box 154, Sharon Center, OH 44274-0154; Phone: (330) 336-3832
- Wadsworth Area Historical Society, PO Box 326, Wadsworth, OH 44281-0326; Phone: (330) 336-2437
- Westfield Historical Society
- Medina County, Ohio Message Boards
- Medina County, Ohio Genealogy Forum