Mahoning County, Ohio Genealogy Guide
|Other OH Resources|
|OH Birth, Death, Marriage,
Divorce & Death Records
OH Ancestor Records
OH Military Databases
OH Data Collections
OH Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Mahoning County, Ohio (Map It) was created on March 1, 1846 from Columbiana County and Trumbull County. This county was named for the Mahoning River, from a Native American word meaning "at the licks" . Learn More About State of Ohio History
Mahoning County is bordered by Trumbull County (north), Mercer County, Pennsylvaina (northeast), Lawrence County, Pennsylvaina (east), Columbiana County (south), Stark County (southwest), Portage County (northwest) .. A Map of Mahoning County, Ohio contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Mahoning County Cities and Towns include Alliance, Campbell, Canfield, Columbiana, Struthers, Youngstown, Beloit, Craig Beach, Lowellville, New Middletown, Poland, Sebring, Washingtonville. Other communities include Damascus, Ellsworth, Greenford, Lake Milton, New Springfield, North Benton, North Jackson, North Lima, Petersburg. A Map of Mahoning County, Ohio contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Mahoning County Townships include Austintown, Beaver, Berlin, Boardman, Canfield, Coitsville, Ellsworth, Goshen, Green, Jackson, Milton, Poland, Smith, Springfield.
Mahoning County, Ohio Courthouse Records
Mahoning County, OH Courthouse
Mahoning County, OH Township Map
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Mahoning county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Mahoning County Clerk of Probate Court has Marriage Records from 1846 and Probate Records from 1846. The County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts.
- Mahoning County Recorder has Land Records from 1795. The County Recorder has the duty of keeping specific records which may include: deeds, mortgages, military discharges, plats, etc.
- Mahoning County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas has Court Records from 1847. The County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- The Mahoning County Health Department has Birth & Death Records from 1908-Present. For birth and death records prior to Dec. 20, 1908, contact the Probate Court of this county.
Mahoning County, Ohio Census Records
- Learn More: State of Ohio Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Mahoning County, Ohio Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Ohio Vital Records
- Birth Records: from 1908 to present
- Marriage Records: None. See County Probate Court.
- Death Records: from 1954 to present
- Divorce Records: None. See County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas.
- Locations: Ohio Office of Vital Statistics, Ohio Local Health Departments
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Mahoning County, Ohio Resources
- State of Ohio Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Ohio
- Mahoning County Chapter, OGS
- Austintown Historical Society
- Berlin Center Historical Society
- Boardman Historical Society, PO Box 3134, Youngstown, OH 44513-3134; Phone: (330) 758-4702
- Campbell Historical Society , 211 Struthers Liberty Rd, Campbell, OH 44405-1935; Phone: (330) 755-4496
- Canfield Historical Society
- Damascus Area Historical Society of Ohio, PO Box 144, Damascus, OH 44619-0144; Phone: (330) 337-8850
- Ellsworth Historical Society, PO Box 106, Ellsworth, OH 44416-0106; Phone: (330) 533-6636
- Mahoning Valley Historical Society
- Poland Township Historical Society, PO Box 5052, Poland, OH 44514-0052; Phone: (330) 757-2613
- Sebring Ohio Historical Society
- Springfield Township Historical Society
- Struthers Historical Society, 50 Terrace St, Struthers, OH 44471-1936; Phone: (330) 750-1766
- The William Holmes McGuffey Historical Society, P O Box 9561, Youngstown, OH 44513-9561; Phone: (330) 726-8277
- Public Library of Youngstown and Mahoning County, 305 Wick Avenue, , Youngstown OH 44503-1003; (330) 744-8636
- Mahoning County, Ohio Message Boards
- Mahoning County, Ohio Genealogy Forum