Lucas County, Ohio Genealogy Guide
|Other OH Resources|
|OH Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
OH Ancestor Records
OH Military Databases
OH Data Collections
OH Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Lucas County, Ohio (Map It) was created on June 20, 1835 from Wood County and Sandusky County. This county was named for Robert Lucas (1781–1853), Governor of Ohio when the county was created . Learn More About State of Ohio History
Lucas County is bordered by Monroe County, Michigan (north), Essex County, Ontario (northeast), Ottawa County (southeast), Wood County (south), Henry County (southwest), Fulton County (west), Lenawee County, Michigan (northwest) .. A Map of Lucas County, Ohio contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Lucas County Cities and Towns include Maumee, Oregon, Sylvania, Toledo, Berkey, Harbor View, Holland, Ottawa Hills, Swanton, Waterville, Whitehouse. Other communities include Monclova, Neapolis, Providence. A Map of Lucas County, Ohio contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Lucas County Townships include Harding, Jerusalem, Monclova, Providence, Richfield, Spencer, Springfield, Swanton, Sylvania, Washington, Waterville.
Lucas County, Ohio Courthouse Records
Lucas County, OH Courthouse
Lucas County, OH Township Map
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Lucas county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Lucas County Clerk of Probate Court has Marriage Records from 1835 and Probate Records from 1835. The County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts.
- Lucas County Recorder has Land Records from 1808. The County Recorder has the duty of keeping specific records which may include: deeds, mortgages, military discharges, plats, etc.
- Lucas County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas has Court Records from 1835. The County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- The Lucas County Health Department has Birth & Death Records from 1908-Present. For birth and death records prior to Dec. 20, 1908, contact the Probate Court of this county.
Lucas County, Ohio Census Records
- Learn More: State of Ohio Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Lucas County, Ohio Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Ohio Vital Records
- Birth Records: from 1908 to present
- Marriage Records: None. See County Probate Court.
- Death Records: from 1954 to present
- Divorce Records: None. See County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas.
- Locations: Ohio Office of Vital Statistics, Ohio Local Health Departments
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Lucas County, Ohio Resources
- State of Ohio Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Ohio
- Lucas County Chapter, OGS
- Maumee Valley Historical Society
- Sylvania Area Historical Society
- Waterville Historical Society
- Western Lake Erie Historical Society
- Lucas County, Ohio Message Boards
- Lucas County, Ohio Genealogy Forum
Lucas County, Ohio External Links
- Historical Newspapers from Ohio (1802 - 1970)
- Toledo-Lucas County Public Library - Blade Obituaries Index 1990-present
- The Maumee Valley pioneer
- Lucas County, Ohio Books - Amazon
- Lucas County, Toledo Ohio Birth Records: 1888 - 1890
- Lucas County, Toledo Ohio Birth Records: 1891 - 1895
- Lucas County, Toledo Ohio Death Index, 1894 - 1897
- Lucas County Probate Court Online Search includes Toledo
- Historic Woodlawn Cemetery
- Swan Creek Cemetery Inscriptions, Monclova, Ohio
- Lucas Co., Ohio - FindaGrave
- Portrait and biographical record of city of Toledo and Lucas and Wood Counties, Ohio
- Art work of Toledo, Ohio
- Lucas County, Ohio Links - Cyndi's List
- Lucas Co. OHGenweb
- Lucas County Genealogy Queries
- Lucas County, Ohio Ancestry Database Collections
- Ohio Military Records
- Toledo, Ohio Directories, 1889-1891