Jackson County, Ohio Genealogy Guide
|Other OH Resources|
|OH Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
OH Ancestor Records
OH Military Databases
OH Data Collections
OH Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Jackson County, Ohio (Map It) was created on March 1, 1816 from Athens County, Gallia County, Ross County and Scioto County. This county was named for General Andrew Jackson (1767–1845) . Learn More About State of Ohio History
Jackson County is bordered by Vinton County (north), Gallia County (east), Lawrence County (south), Scioto County (southwest), Pike County (west), Ross County (northwest) .. A Map of Jackson County, Ohio contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Jackson County Cities and Towns include Jackson, Wellston, Coalton, Oak Hill. Other communities include Byer, Wainwright. A Map of Jackson County, Ohio contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Jackson County Townships include Bloomfield, Coal, Franklin, Hamilton, Jackson, Jefferson, Liberty, Lick, Madison, Milton, Scioto, Washington.
Jackson County, Ohio Courthouse Records
Jackson County, OH Courthouse
Jackson County, OH Township Map
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Jackson county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Jackson County Clerk of Probate Court has Marriage Records from 1803 and Probate Records from 1798. The County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts.
- Jackson County Recorder has Land Records from 1795. The County Recorder has the duty of keeping specific records which may include: deeds, mortgages, military discharges, plats, etc.
- Jackson County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas has Court Records from 1803. The County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- The Jackson County Health Department has Birth & Death Records from 1908-Present. For birth and death records prior to Dec. 20, 1908, contact the Probate Court of this county.
Jackson County, Ohio Census Records
- Learn More: State of Ohio Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Jackson County, Ohio Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Ohio Vital Records
- Birth Records: from 1908 to present
- Marriage Records: None. See County Probate Court.
- Death Records: from 1954 to present
- Divorce Records: None. See County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas.
- Locations: Ohio Office of Vital Statistics, Ohio Local Health Departments
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Jackson County, Ohio Resources
- State of Ohio Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Ohio
- Jackson County Chapter, OGS
- Jackson Center Historical Society, PO Box 473, Jackson Center, OH 45334-0473; Phone: (330) 653-9817
- Jackson Historical Society
- Jackson Township Historical Society , PO Box 35171, Canton, OH 44735-5171; Phone: (330) 830-8622
- Jackson County, Ohio Message Boards
- Jackson County, Ohio Genealogy Forum