Huron County, Ohio Genealogy Guide
|Other OH Resources|
|OH Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
OH Ancestor Records
OH Military Databases
OH Data Collections
OH Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Huron County is bordered by Erie County (north), Lorain County (east), Ashland County (southeast), Richland County (south), Crawford County (southwest), Seneca County (west), Sandusky County (northwest) .. A Map of Huron County, Ohio contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Huron County Cities and Towns include Bellevue, Norwalk, Willard, Greenwich, Milan, Monroeville, New London, North Fairfield, Plymouth, Wakeman. Other communities include Clarksfield, Collins, New Haven, Steuben . A Map of Huron County, Ohio contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Huron County Townships include Bronson, Clarksfield, Fairfield, Fitchville, Greenfield, Greenwich, Hartland, Lyme, New Haven, New London, Norwalk, Norwich, Peru, Richmond, Ridgefield, Ripley, Sherman, Townsend, Wakeman.
Huron County, Ohio Courthouse Records
Huron County, OH Courthouse
Huron County, OH Township Map
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Huron county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Huron County Clerk of Probate Court has Marriage Records from 1818, Probate Records from 1815 and Birth / Death Records from 1867-1908. The County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts.
- Huron County Recorder has Land Records from 1809. The County Recorder has the duty of keeping specific records which may include: deeds, mortgages, military discharges, plats, etc.
- Huron County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas has Court Records from 1818. The County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- The Huron County Health Department has Birth & Death Records from 1908-Present. For birth and death records prior to Dec. 20, 1908, contact the Probate Court of this county.
Huron County, Ohio Census Records
- Learn More: State of Ohio Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1810 (destroyed), 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Huron County, Ohio Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Ohio Vital Records
- Birth Records: from 1908 to present
- Marriage Records: None. See County Probate Court.
- Death Records: from 1954 to present
- Divorce Records: None. See County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas.
- Locations: Ohio Office of Vital Statistics, Ohio Local Health Departments
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Huron County, Ohio Resources
- State of Ohio Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Ohio
- Huron County Chapter, OGS
- Bellevue Historical Society & Heritage Museum, PO Box 304, Bellevue, OH 44811-0304; Phone: (419) 483-5727;
- Firelands Historical Society
- Milan Canal Historical Society , 5345 Plank Rd, Norwalk, OH 44857; Phone: (419) 499-2077
- New London Area Historical Society
- North Fairfield Firelands Historical Association
- Willard Area Historical Society , PO Box 34, Willard, OH 44890-0034; Phone: (419) 935-2585;
- Huron County, Ohio Message Boards
- Huron County, Ohio Genealogy Forum
Huron County, Ohio External Links
- Huron Co., Ohio - FindaGrave
- History of north central Ohio
- Huron County, Ohio Links - Cyndi's List
- Huron Co. OHGenweb
- Huron County, Ohio Ancestry Database Collections
- Huron Co., Ohio Township Map
- Ohio Military Records
- Norwalk, Ohio Directory 1892-93
- Rural mail directory of Erie, Sandusky and Huron Counties, Ohio