Henry County, Ohio Genealogy Guide
|Other OH Resources|
|OH Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
OH Ancestor Records
OH Military Databases
OH Data Collections
OH Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Henry County, Ohio (Map It) was created on April 1, 1820 from Logan County, Shelby County, Wood County and Williams County. This county was named for Patrick Henry (1736–1799), Revolutionary War-era legislator, orator, and scholar . Learn More About State of Ohio History
Henry County is bordered by Fulton County (north), Lucas County (northeast), Wood County (east), Putnam County (south), Defiance County (west), Williams County (northwest), Hancock County (southeast) .. A Map of Henry County, Ohio contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Henry County Cities and Towns include Napoleon, Deshler, Florida, Hamler, Holgate, Liberty Center, Malinta, McClure, New Bavaria . Other communities include Colton, Grelton, Okolona, Ridgeville Corners . A Map of Henry County, Ohio contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Henry County Townships include Bartlow, Damascus, Flatrock, Freedom, Harrison, Liberty, Marion, Monroe, Napoleon, Pleasant, Richfield, Ridgeville, Washington.
Henry County, Ohio Courthouse Records
Henry County, OH Courthouse
Henry County, OH Township Map
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Henry county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered. Henry County was attached to Wood County and Williams County Counties from 1820-1834. Early court records may be found there.
- Henry County Clerk of Probate Court has Marriage Records from 1847, Probate Records from 1847 and Birth / Death Records from 1867-1908. The County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts.
- Henry County Recorder has Land Records from 1846. The County Recorder has the duty of keeping specific records which may include: deeds, mortgages, military discharges, plats, etc.
- Henry County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas has Court Records from 1847. The County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- The Henry County Health Department has Birth & Death Records from 1908-Present. For birth and death records prior to Dec. 20, 1908, contact the Probate Court of this county.
Henry County, Ohio Census Records
- Learn More: State of Ohio Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Henry County, Ohio Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Ohio Vital Records
- Birth Records: from 1908 to present
- Marriage Records: None. See County Probate Court.
- Death Records: from 1954 to present
- Divorce Records: None. See County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas.
- Locations: Ohio Office of Vital Statistics, Ohio Local Health Departments
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Henry County, Ohio Resources
- State of Ohio Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Ohio
- Henry County Chapter, OGS
- Bartlow Township Historical Society
- Henry County Historical Society
- Liberty Center Historical Society, PO Box 106, Liberty Center, OH 43532-0106; Phone: (419) 598-8442
- Henry County, Ohio Message Boards
- Henry County, Ohio Genealogy Forum