Hamilton County, Ohio Genealogy Guide
|Other OH Resources|
|OH Birth, Death, Marriage,
Divorce & Death Records
OH Ancestor Records
OH Military Databases
OH Data Collections
OH Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Hamilton County, Ohio (Map It) was created on January 2, 1790 as an Original County. This county was named for Alexander Hamilton (1755/7-1804), Secretary of the Treasury when the county was organized . Learn More About State of Ohio History
Hamilton County is bordered by Butler County (north), Warren County (northeast), Clermont County (east), Boone County, Kentucky (southwest), Kenton County, Kentucky (south), Campbell County, Kentucky (southeast), Dearborn County, Indiana (west). A Map of Hamilton County, Ohio contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Hamilton County Cities and Towns include Blue Ash, Cheviot, Cincinnati, Deer Park, Forest Park, Harrison, Indian Hill, Loveland, Madeira, Milford, Montgomery, Mount Healthy, North College Hill, Norwood, Reading, Sharonville, Silverton, Springdale, St. Bernard, Wyoming, Addyston, Amberley Village, Arlington Heights, Cleves, Elmwood Place, Evendale, Fairfax, Glendale, Golf Manor, Greenhills, Lincoln Heights, Lockland, Mariemont, Newtown, North Bend, Terrace Park, Woodlawn. Other communities include Camp Dennison, Hooven, Miamitown, Mount Saint Joseph. A Map of Hamilton County, Ohio contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Hamilton County Townships include Anderson, Colerain, Columbia, Crosby, Delhi, Green, Harrison, Miami, Springfield, Sycamore, Symmes, Whitewater.
Hamilton County, Ohio Courthouse Records
Hamilton County, OH Courthouse
Hamilton County, OH Township Map
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Hamilton county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered. Courthouse destroyed by fire in 1802, 1813, 1849 and 1884, Some records destroyed.
- Hamilton County Clerk of Probate Court has Marriage Records from 1808, Probate Records from 1790 and Birth / Death Records from 1864 - 1884. The County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts.
- Hamilton County Recorder has Land Records from 1787. The County Recorder has the duty of keeping specific records which may include: deeds, mortgages, military discharges, plats, etc.
- Hamilton County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas has Court Records from 1844. The County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- The Hamilton County Health Department has Birth & Death Records from 1908-Present. For birth and death records prior to Dec. 20, 1908, contact the Probate Court of this county.
Hamilton County, Ohio Census Records
- Learn More: State of Ohio Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1800 (destroyed), 1810 (destroyed), 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Hamilton County, Ohio Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Ohio Vital Records
- Birth Records: from 1908 to present
- Marriage Records: None. See County Probate Court.
- Death Records: from 1954 to present
- Divorce Records: None. See County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas.
- Locations: Ohio Office of Vital Statistics, Ohio Local Health Departments
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Hamilton County, Ohio Resources
Hamilton County, Ohio External Links
- Historical Newspapers from Ohio (1802 - 1970)
- The Hamilton Telegraph (Hamilton, Ohio)
- The Weekly Hamilton Telegraph (Hamilton, Ohio)
- The Hamilton Examiner (Hamilton, Ohio)
- The Hamilton Guidon (Hamilton, Ohio)
- Cincinnati Obituaries October 2000-present
- Public Library of Cincinnati and Hamilton County - Index to Local Newspaper Articles
- Hamilton County, Ohio Books - Amazon
- Marriage records, Hamilton County, Ohio
- Abstract of Book 1 & Book A, probate record 1791-1826, Hamilton County, Ohio
- Hamilton County Probate Case Search
- Gate of Heaven Cemetery Burial Records Catholic cemetery in Cincinnati
- Charter and by-laws of the Cemetery of Spring Grove
- Spring Grove Cemetery & Oak Hill Cemetery Burials in Cincinnati
- Walnut Hills Cemetery Burials in Cincinnati
- Wesleyan Cemetery Burials - Cincinnati, Ohio
- Hamilton Co., Ohio - FindaGrave
- History of Hamilton County Ohio, with Illustrations and Biographical Sketches; Compiled by: Henry A. Ford, A. M. and Mrs. Kate B. Ford
- Hamilton County, Ohio History
- Cincinnati, the Queen City
- History of Cincinnati and Hamilton County, Ohio
- Laws and general ordinances of the city of Cincinnati
- A history of the schools of Cincinnati
- Hamilton County, Ohio Wiki
- Hamilton County, Ohio Links - Cyndi's List
- Hamilton Co. OHGenweb
- Hamilton County, Ohio Ancestry Database Collections
- Hamilton Co., Ohio Township Map
- History of the First Regiment of Infantry, Ohio National Guard
- Ohio Military Records
- Cincinnati, Ohio Directory, 1890-91