Fairfield County, Ohio Genealogy Guide
|Other OH Resources|
|OH Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
OH Ancestor Records
OH Military Databases
OH Data Collections
OH Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Fairfield County, Ohio (Map It) was created on December 9, 1800 from Ross County and Washington County. This county was named for the beauty of its "fair fields" . Learn More About State of Ohio History
Fairfield County is bordered by Licking County (north), Perry County (east), Hocking County (south), Pickaway County (southwest), Franklin County (northwest) .. A Map of Fairfield County, Ohio contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Fairfield County Cities and Towns include Columbus, Lancaster, Pickerington, Reynoldsburg, Amanda, Baltimore, Bremen, Buckeye Lake, Canal Winchester, Carroll, Lithopolis, Millersport, Pleasantville, Rushville, Stoutsville, Sugar Grove, Thurston, West Rushville. Other communities include Include Royalton. A Map of Fairfield County, Ohio contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Fairfield County Townships Include Amanda, Berne, Bloom, Clearcreek, Greenfield, Hocking, Liberty, Madison, Pleasant, Richland, Rush Creek, Violet, Walnut.
Fairfield County, Ohio Courthouse Records
Fairfield County, OH Courthouse
Fairfield County, OH Township Map
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Fairfield county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Fairfield County Clerk of Probate Court has Marriage Records from 1803 and Probate Records from 1803. The County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts.
- Fairfield County Recorder has Land Records from 1801. The County Recorder has the duty of keeping specific records which may include: deeds, mortgages, military discharges, plats, etc.
- Fairfield County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas has Court Records from 1801. The County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- The Fairfield County Health Department has Birth & Death Records from 1908-Present. For birth and death records prior to Dec. 20, 1908, contact the Probate Court of this county.
Fairfield County, Ohio Census Records
- Learn More: State of Ohio Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1810 (destroyed), 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Fairfield County, Ohio Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Ohio Vital Records
- Birth Records: from 1908 to present
- Marriage Records: None. See County Probate Court.
- Death Records: from 1954 to present
- Divorce Records: None. See County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas.
- Locations: Ohio Office of Vital Statistics, Ohio Local Health Departments
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Fairfield County, Ohio Resources
- State of Ohio Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Ohio
- Fairfield County Chapter, OGS, 503 Lenwood Dr., Lancaster, OH 43130
- Bremen Area Historical Society
- Carroll Area Historical Society
- Lancaster Campground Historical Society, 2151 W Fair Ave #113, Lancaster, OH 43130-7859; Phone: (740) 653-2119
- Pickerington-Violet Township Historical Society
- Sons of the American Revolution-Ohio Society
- Fairfield County, Ohio Message Boards
- Fairfield County, Ohio Genealogy Forum
Fairfield County, Ohio External Links
- Fairfield Co., Ohio - FindaGrave
- A Biographical record of Fairfield and Perry Counties, Ohio
- Pioneer period and pioneer people of Fairfield County, Ohio
- Centennial history of Lancaster, Ohio, and Lancaster people
- Lancaster and Fairfield County, Ohio
- After eighty years
- Fairfield County, Ohio Wikipedia
- Fairfield County, Ohio Links - Cyndi's List
- Fairfield Co. OHGenweb
- Fairfield County, Ohio Ancestry Database Collections
- Ohio Military Records