Cuyahoga County, Ohio Genealogy Guide
|Other OH Resources|
|OH Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
OH Ancestor Records
OH Military Databases
OH Data Collections
OH Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Cuyahoga County, Ohio (Map It) was created on June 7, 1807 from Geauga County . This county was named for Cuyahoga River, which means "crooked river" in an Iroquoian language. Learn More About State of Ohio History
Cuyahoga County is bordered by Ontario, Canada (north), Lake County (northeast), Geauga County (east), Summit County (southeast), Medina County (southwest), Lorain County (west), Portage County (southeast corner) .. A Map of Cuyahoga County, Ohio contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Cuyahoga County Cities and Towns include Bay Village, Beachwood, Bedford, Bedford Heights, Berea, Brecksville, Broadview Heights, Brook Park, Brooklyn, Cleveland, Cleveland Heights, East Cleveland, Euclid, Fairview Park, Garfield Heights, Highland Heights, Independence, Lakewood, Lyndhurst, Maple Heights, Mayfield Heights, Middleburg Heights, North Olmsted, North Royalton, Olmsted Falls, Parma, Parma Heights, Pepper Pike, Richmond Heights, Rocky River, Seven Hills, Shaker Heights, Solon, South Euclid, Strongsville, University Heights, Warrensville Heights, Westlake, Bentleyville, Bratenahl, Brooklyn Heights, Chagrin Falls, Cuyahoga Heights, Gates Mills, Glenwillow, Highland Hills, Hunting Valley, Linndale, Mayfield, Moreland Hills, Newburgh Heights, North Randall, Oakwood, Orange, Valley View, Walton Hills, Woodmere. A Map of Cuyahoga County, Ohio contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Cuyahoga County Townships include Chagrin Falls, Olmsted, Paper townships .
Cuyahoga County, Ohio Courthouse Records
Cuyahoga County, OH Courthouse
Cuyahoga County, OH Township Map
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Cuyahoga county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Cuyahoga County Clerk of Probate Court has Marriage Records from 1810 and Probate Records from 1811. The County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts.
- Cuyahoga County Recorder/ Fiscal Office has Land Records from 1810. The County Recorder has the duty of keeping specific records which may include: deeds, mortgages, military discharges, plats, etc.
- Cuyahoga County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas has Court Records from 1823. The County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- The Cuyahoga County Health Department has Birth & Death Records from 1908-Present. For birth and death records prior to Dec. 20, 1908, contact the Probate Court of this county.
Cuyahoga County, Ohio Census Records
- Learn More: State of Ohio Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1810 (destroyed), 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Cuyahoga County, Ohio Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Ohio Vital Records
- Birth Records: from 1908 to present
- Marriage Records: None. See County Probate Court.
- Death Records: from 1954 to present
- Divorce Records: None. See County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas.
- Locations: Ohio Office of Vital Statistics, Ohio Local Health Departments
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Cuyahoga County, Ohio Resources
- State of Ohio Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Ohio
- Cuyahoga Valley Chapter, OGS
- Cuyahoga West Chapter, OGS
- Cuyahoga County Archives
- East Cuyahoga Chapter, OGS, PO Box 24182, Lyndhurst, OH 44124-0182
- Hudson Genealogical Study Group
- Southwest Cuyahoga County Chapter, OGS
- Greater Cleveland Chapter, OGS
- Western Reserve Historical Society Library and Archives
- Cuyahoga County, Ohio Message Boards
- Cuyahoga County, Ohio Genealogy Forum
Cuyahoga County, Ohio External Links
- Historical Newspapers from Ohio (1802 - 1970)
- The Cleveland Jewish News Obituary Index, 1964-2007 (search.ancestry.com)
- Cuyahoga County, Ohio Books - Amazon
- Cuyahoga County, Ohio, Marriage Records and Indexes, 1941-1973
- US, Ohio, Cuyahoga County, Jewish Marriage Record Extracts, 1837-1934
- Cuyahoga County Probate Court Death Records Index 1867-1890 & Coroner Files Index 1833-1900
- Cuyahoga County Probate Court Search Page (recent)
- Ordinances of the city of Cleveland
- Cuyahoga County 1852 landownership map index
- Ohio, Cuyahoga County Probate Files, 1813-1917
- Ohio, Cuyahoga County Records, 1880-1950
- Chris Lindegarde's Cemetery Transcriptions and Photos'
- Cuyahoga Co., Ohio - FindaGrave
- The Book of Clevelanders
- Progressive men of northern Ohio
- Annals of Cleveland.
- This Cleveland of ours
- A history of Cuyahoga County and the city of Cleveland
- Historic sites of Cleveland
- History of the Cuyahoga County Soldiers' and Sailors' Monument
- Cuyahoga County, Ohio Links - Cyndi's List
- Cuyahoga Co. OHGenweb
- Cuyahoga County, Ohio Ancestry Database Collections
- Ohio Military Records
- Cleveland, Ohio Congregational Churches Directory, 1895
- Cleveland, Ohio Directory, 1837-38
- The Cleveland directory, for the year ending June, 1880
- The Cleveland blue book
- The Cleveland blue book