Coshocton County, Ohio Genealogy Guide
|Other OH Resources|
|OH Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
OH Ancestor Records
OH Military Databases
OH Data Collections
OH Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Coshocton County, Ohio (Map It) was created on January 31, 1810 from Muskingum County and Tuscarawas County . This county was named for the Delaware Indian word meaning "union of waters" . Learn More About State of Ohio History
Coshocton County is bordered by Holmes County (north), Tuscawaras County (east), Guernsey County (southeast), Muskingum County (south), Licking County (southwest), Knox County (west) .. A Map of Coshocton County, Ohio contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Coshocton County Cities and Towns include Coshocton, Baltic, Conesville, Nellie, Plainfield, Warsaw, West Lafayette. Other communities include Bakersville, Blissfield, Fresno, Keene, Tunnel Hill, Wakatomika, Walhonding. A Map of Coshocton County, Ohio contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Coshocton County Townships include Adams, Bedford, Bethlehem, Clark, Crawford, Franklin, Jackson, Jefferson, Keene, Lafayette, Linton, Mill Creek, Monroe, Newcastle, Oxford, Perry, Pike, Tiverton, Tuscarawas, Virginia, Washington, White Eyes.
Coshocton County, Ohio Courthouse Records
Coshocton County, OH Courthouse
Coshocton County, OH Township Map
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Coshocton county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Coshocton County Clerk of Probate Court has Marriage Records from 1811 and Probate Records from 1811. The County Clerk of Probate Court handles the probating of wills, estate administrations, trusts, guardianships, adoptions, birth corrections, delayed birth registrations and issues marriage licenses. The Probate Court is that the Probate Judge is the ex-officio Clerk of Courts, thus, the Court performs all the duties as its own Clerk of Courts.
- Coshocton County Recorder has Land Records from 1800. The County Recorder has the duty of keeping specific records which may include: deeds, mortgages, military discharges, plats, etc.
- Coshocton County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas has Court Records from 1811. The County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas is responsible for duties that include filing, docketing, indexing, and preserving all court pleadings for civil, felony criminal and domestic relations cases. Other services provided by the Clerk of Court of Common Pleas are administering oaths, keeping naturalization records, and recording and retention of coroner records.
- The Coshocton County Health Department has Birth & Death Records from 1908-Present. For birth and death records prior to Dec. 20, 1908, contact the Probate Court of this county.
Coshocton County, Ohio Census Records
- Learn More: State of Ohio Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1810 (destroyed), 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Coshocton County, Ohio Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Ohio Vital Records
- Birth Records: from 1908 to present
- Marriage Records: None. See County Probate Court.
- Death Records: from 1954 to present
- Divorce Records: None. See County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas.
- Locations: Ohio Office of Vital Statistics, Ohio Local Health Departments
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Coshocton County, Ohio Resources
- State of Ohio Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Ohio
- Coshocton County Chapter, OGS
- Johnson-Humrick House Museum
- Walhonding Valley Historical Society, PO Box 199, Warsaw, OH 43844-0199; Phone: (740) 824-4000
- Coshocton County, Ohio Message Boards
- Coshocton County, Ohio Genealogy Forum
Coshocton County, Ohio External Links
- Historical Newspapers from Ohio (1802 - 1970)
- Coshocton Tribune (Coshocton, Ohio)
- Coshocton Daily Age (Coshocton, Ohio)
- Coshocton Morning Tribune (Coshocton, Ohio)
- Coshocton Daily Times (Coshocton, Ohio)
- The Coshocton Age (Coshocton, Ohio)
- Coshocton County, Ohio Books - Amazon
- Marriages, Coshocton County, Ohio, 1811-1930