Pembina County, North Dakota Genealogy Guide
|Other ND Resources|
|ND Birth, Death, Marriage,
Divorce & Death Records
ND Ancestor Records
ND Military Databases
ND Data Collections
ND Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Pembina County, North Dakota (Map It) was created on January 09, 1867 from Indian lands. The county was named for the high-bush cranberries which grew wild in the area. Pembina may befrom an Ojibwa phrase, anepeminan sipi, referring to the berries, as they grew in abundance around the Redberry River; it may also be from an Ojibwa word meaning meeting place. The name originally applied to the old Pembina Territory. Learn More About State of North Dakota History.
Pembina County Cities and Towns include Bathgate, Canton City, Cavalier, Crystal, Drayton, Hamilton, Mountain, Neche, Pembina, St. Thomas, Walhalla.
Pembina County Townships include Advance, Akra, Bathgate, Beaulieu, Carlisle, Cavalier, Concrete, Crystal, Drayton, Elora, Felson, Gardar, Hamilton, Joliette, La Moure, Lincoln, Lodema, Midland, Neche, Park, Pembina, St. Joseph, St. Thomas, Thingvalla, Walhalla. A Map of Pembina County, North Dakota contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Pembina County, North Dakota Courthouse Records
Pembina County, ND Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Pembina county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered. Some records have been transferred to the State Archives and Historical Research Library.
- Pembina County Register of Deeds / Recorder / Clerk of Courts has Marriage Records from 1872, Land Records from 1867, Probate Records from 1867 and Court Records from 1867. The County Register of Deeds / Recorder keeps a record of each patent, deed, mortgage, bill of sale and any document related to these transactions, insuring a permanent record of property ownership; Copies of divorce records. The County Clerk of Courts responsibilities include issuing Marriage Licenses and filing of Civil, Probate, Small Claims, Criminal Cases and Child Support Court Documents.
Pembina County, North Dakota Census Records
- Learn More: State of North Dakota Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Indian Census Records: 1885-1940, Eastern Cherokee - 1908-1910
- Territorial and State Censuses: 1885, 1915, 1925
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Pembina County, North Dakota Vital Records
- Learn More: State of North Dakota Vital Records
- Birth Records: from 1870 to present. The years 1870 to 1920 are incomplete.
- Marriage Records: from June 1958 to present
- Death Records: from 1893 to present. Years from 1894 to 1920 are incomplete.
- Locations: North Dakota Division of Vital Records
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate or Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: ND Department of Health, Division of Vital Records, 600 East Boulevard Avenue, Dept. 301, Bismarck, ND 58505-0200
Pembina County, North Dakota Resources
- State of North Dakota Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for North Dakota
- Pembina County Historical Society
- Fort Pembina Historical Society, 163 Chippewa Street West, Pembina, ND 58271
- Gingras Trading Post State Historic Site, c/o Johnathan Campbell, 612 East Boulevard Ave., Bismarck, ND 58501, 701-328-2666
- Northeastern North Dakota Heritage Association, Icelandic State Park, HCR3 Box 64A, Cavalier, ND 58220, 701-265-4561
- Ox Cart Trails Historical Society, Inc.
- Pembina State Museum
- Pembina County, North Dakota Message Boards
- Pembina County, North Dakota Genealogy Forum read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Pembina County