McLean County, North Dakota Genealogy Guide
|Other ND Resources|
| ND Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
ND Ancestor Records
ND Military Databases
ND Data Collections
ND Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
McLean County, North Dakota (Map It) was created on March 08, 1883 from Dakota Territory. The county was named in honor of John A. McLean, first mayor of Bismarck, North Dakota. Learn More About State of North Dakota History.
McLean County is bordered by Ward County (north), McHenry County (northeast), Sheridan County (east), Burleigh County, Oliver County (south), Mercer County (southwest), Dunn County (west), Mountrail County.
McLean County Cities and Towns include Benedict, Butte, Coleharbor, Garrison, Max, Mercer, Riverdale, Ruso, Turtle Lake, Underwood, Washburn, Wilton.
McLean County Townships include Amundsville, Andrews, Aurena, Blackwater, Blue Hill, Butte, Byersville, Cremerville, Deepwater, Dogden, Douglas, Gate, Greatstone, Horseshoe Valley, Lake Williams, Longfellow, Loquemont, Malcolm, McGinnis, Medicine Hill, Mercer, Otis, Roseglen, Rosemont, Saint Mary, Snow, Turtle Lake, Victoria, Wise. A Map of McLean County, North Dakota contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
McLean County, North Dakota Courthouse Records
McLean County, ND Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in McLean county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered. Some records have been transferred to the State Archives and Historical Research Library.
- McLean County Register of Deeds / Recorder has Land Records from 1883. The County Register of Deeds / Recorder keeps a record of each patent, deed, mortgage, bill of sale and any document related to these transactions, insuring a permanent record of property ownership; Copies of divorce records.
- McLean County Clerk of Courts has Marriage Records from 1887, Probate Records from 1883 and Court Records from 1883. The County Clerk of Courts responsibilities include issuing Marriage Licenses and filing of Civil, Probate, Small Claims, Criminal Cases and Child Support Court Documents.
McLean County, North Dakota Census Records
- Learn More: State of North Dakota Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Indian Census Records: 1885-1940, Eastern Cherokee - 1908-1910
- Territorial and State Censuses: 1885, 1915, 1925
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
McLean County, North Dakota Vital Records
- Learn More: State of North Dakota Vital Records
- Birth Records: from 1870 to present. The years 1870 to 1920 are incomplete.
- Marriage Records: from June 1958 to present
- Death Records: from 1893 to present. Years from 1894 to 1920 are incomplete.
- Locations: North Dakota Division of Vital Records
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate or Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: ND Department of Health, Division of Vital Records, 600 East Boulevard Avenue, Dept. 301, Bismarck, ND 58505-0200
McLean County, North Dakota Resources
- McLean County Historical Society
- McLean County Genealogical Society , P. O. Box 99, Garrison, ND 58540-0099, 701-463-2834
- Garrison Heritage Park Foundation, P. O. Box 726, Garrison, ND 58540-0726, 701-463-2064
- North Dakota Lewis and Clark Bicentennial Foundation, Lewis and Clark Interpretive Center, and Fort Mandan
- Fort Stevenson State Park, 1252A 41st St. NW, Garrison, ND 58540, 701-337-5576
- McLean County, North Dakota Message Boards
- McLean County, North Dakota Genealogy Forum read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for McLean County