Swain County, North Carolina Genealogy Guide
|Other NC Resources|
| NC Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
NC Ancestor Records
NC Military Databases
NC Data Collections
NC Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Swain County, North Carolina (Map It) was created on 1871 from Jackson County and Macon County. This county was named for David Lowry Swain (1801–1868), a governor of North Carolina and president of the University of North Carolina. Learn More About State of North Carolina History.
Swain County Cities and Towns include Bryson City, Cherokee, Whittier. A Map of Swain County, North Carolina contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Swain County Townships include Charleston, Forney Creek, Nantahala. View a Map of Swain County Townships.
Swain County, North Carolina Courthouse Records
Swain County, NC Courthouse
Old Swain County Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Swain county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered. Also see the Swain County Records in the North Carolina State Archives. The County Courthouse was destroyed in 1879 by fire. some earlier records were destroyed. On January 7, 1908 the Courthouse was burned by rioters. No records were saved.
- Swain County Register of Deeds has Birth Records from ?, Marriage Records from 1871, Death Records from ? and Land Records from 1871. The Register of Deeds holds land and vital records if they have not been transferred to the state archives in Raleigh. Land records may include deeds, grants, plats, and other miscellaneous items. houses most birth and death records and marriage licenses.
- Swain County Clerk of Court has Probate Records from 1871, Court Records from 1871 and Divorce Records from call court clerk for details. The County Clerk of Court holds probate records and court records if they have not been transferred to the state archives in Raleigh. Probate records include not only wills, but also loose estates records. Court records may include apprentice bonds, bastardy bonds, and officials' or constables' bonds in addition to dockets, fee and account books, and court minutes and orders. They also have Divorce Records.
- Swain County Tax Assessor / Collector
- Swain Co. North Carolina County Health Department
Swain County, North Carolina Census Records
- Learn More: State of North Carolina Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: Census Substitutes Index, 1790-1890
- State Population Schedules: None
- Native American Population Schedules: 1894-1913
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: None
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Swain County, North Carolina Vital Records
- Learn More: State of North Carolina Vital Records
- Birth Records: from October 1913 to present
- Marriage Records: from January 1962 to present
- Death Records: from January 1, 1930 to present
- Divorce Records: from January 1958 to present
- Locations: North Carolina Vital Records
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Death, Divorce and Marriage Certificate Applications.
- In Person: North Carolina Vital Records (Cooper Memorial Health Building), 225 N. McDowell St., Raleigh, NC 27603-1382; 919-733-3000
Swain County, North Carolina Resources
- Swain County Genealogical & Historical Society
- Swain County, North Carolina Message Boards
- Swain County, North Carolina Genealogy Forum read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Swain County