Scotland County, North Carolina Genealogy Guide
|Other NC Resources|
| NC Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
NC Ancestor Records
NC Military Databases
NC Data Collections
NC Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Scotland County, North Carolina (Map It) was created on 1899 from Richmond County. This county was named for the country Scotland, part of the United Kingdom. Learn More About State of North Carolina History.
Scotland County Cities and Towns include East Laurinburg, Gibson, Laurel Hill, Laurinburg, Wagram. A Map of Scotland County, North Carolina contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Scotland County Townships include Laurel Hill, Spring Hill, Stewartsville, and Williamson. View a Map of Scotland County Townships.
Scotland County, North Carolina Courthouse Records
Scotland County, NC Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Scotland county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered. Also see the Scotland County Records in the North Carolina State Archives.
- Scotland County Register of Deeds has Birth Records from 1913, Marriage Records from 1900, Death Records from 1913 and Land Records from 1900. The Register of Deeds holds land and vital records if they have not been transferred to the state archives in Raleigh. Land records may include deeds, grants, plats, and other miscellaneous items. houses most birth and death records and marriage licenses.
- Scotland County Clerk of Court has Probate Records from 1887, Court Records from 1887 and Divorce Records from call court clerk for details. The County Clerk of Court holds probate records and court records if they have not been transferred to the state archives in Raleigh. Probate records include not only wills, but also loose estates records. Court records may include apprentice bonds, bastardy bonds, and officials' or constables' bonds in addition to dockets, fee and account books, and court minutes and orders. They also have Divorce Records.
- Scotland County Tax Assessor / Collector
- Scotland Co. North Carolina County Health Department
Scotland County, North Carolina Census Records
- Learn More: State of North Carolina Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: None
- State Population Schedules: None
- Native American Population Schedules: 1894-1913
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: None
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: None
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: None
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: None
- Union Veterans Schedules: None
Scotland County, North Carolina Vital Records
- Learn More: State of North Carolina Vital Records
- Birth Records: from October 1913 to present
- Marriage Records: from January 1962 to present
- Death Records: from January 1, 1930 to present
- Divorce Records: from January 1958 to present
- Locations: North Carolina Vital Records
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Death, Divorce and Marriage Certificate Applications.
- In Person: North Carolina Vital Records (Cooper Memorial Health Building), 225 N. McDowell St., Raleigh, NC 27603-1382; 919-733-3000
Scotland County, North Carolina Resources
- Scotland County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 496, Laurel Hill, NC 28351-0496
- Scotland County, North Carolina Message Boards
- Scotland County, North Carolina Genealogy Forum read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Scotland County