Onslow County, North Carolina Genealogy Guide
|Other NC Resources|
| NC Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
NC Ancestor Records
NC Military Databases
NC Data Collections
NC Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Onslow County, North Carolina (Map It) was created on 1734 from New Hanover Precinct and Bath County. This county was named for Arthur Onslow (1691–1768), Speaker of the British House of Commons. Learn More About State of North Carolina History.
Onslow County Cities and Towns include Half Moon, Holly Ridge, Jacksonville, North Topsail Beach, Piney Green, Pumpkin Center, Richlands, Sneads Ferry, Surf City, Swansboro. A Map of Onslow County, North Carolina contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Onslow County Townships include Jacksonville, Richlands, Sneads Ferry, Swansboro, and White Oak. View a Map of Onslow County Townships.
Onslow County, North Carolina Courthouse Records
Onslow County, NC Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Onslow county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered. Also see the Onslow County Records in the North Carolina State Archives. The County Courthouse was destroyed in 1752 & 1755 by storms, records destroyed by storm
- Onslow County Register of Deeds has Birth Records from 1914, Marriage Records from 1745, Death Records from 1914 and Land Records from 1712. The Register of Deeds holds land and vital records if they have not been transferred to the state archives in Raleigh. Land records may include deeds, grants, plats, and other miscellaneous items. houses most birth and death records and marriage licenses.
- Onslow County Clerk of Court has Probate Records from 1735, Court Records from 1732 and Divorce Records from call court clerk for details. The County Clerk of Court holds probate records and court records if they have not been transferred to the state archives in Raleigh. Probate records include not only wills, but also loose estates records. Court records may include apprentice bonds, bastardy bonds, and officials' or constables' bonds in addition to dockets, fee and account books, and court minutes and orders. They also have Divorce Records.
- Onslow County Tax Assessor / Collector
- Onslow Co. North Carolina County Health Department
Onslow County, North Carolina Census Records
- Learn More: State of North Carolina Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1790 (incomplete), 1800 (incomplete), 1810 (incomplete), 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1660-1820, Census Substitutes Index, 1790-1890
- State Population Schedules: 1784-1787
- Native American Population Schedules: 1894-1913
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Onslow County, North Carolina Vital Records
- Learn More: State of North Carolina Vital Records
- Birth Records: from October 1913 to present
- Marriage Records: from January 1962 to present
- Death Records: from January 1, 1930 to present
- Divorce Records: from January 1958 to present
- Locations: North Carolina Vital Records
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Death, Divorce and Marriage Certificate Applications.
- In Person: North Carolina Vital Records (Cooper Memorial Health Building), 225 N. McDowell St., Raleigh, NC 27603-1382; 919-733-3000
Onslow County, North Carolina Resources
- Coastal Genealogical Society
- Onslow County, North Carolina Message Boards
- Onslow County, North Carolina Genealogy Forum read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Onslow County