Durham County, North Carolina Genealogy Guide
|Other NC Resources|
| NC Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
NC Ancestor Records
NC Military Databases
NC Data Collections
NC Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Durham County, North Carolina (Map It) was created on 1881 from Orange County and Wake County. This county was named for the city of Durham which was named in honor of Dr. Bartlett Snipes Durham who donated the land on which the railroad station was located . Learn More About State of North Carolina History.
Durham County Cities and Towns include Durham, Gorman, Rougemont. A Map of Durham County, North Carolina contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Durham County Townships include Carr, Durham, Lebanon, Mangum, Oak Grove, and Triangle. View a Map of Durham County Townships.
Durham County, North Carolina Courthouse Records
Durham County, NC Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Durham county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered. Also see the Durham County Records in the North Carolina State Archives.
- Durham County Register of Deeds has Birth Records from ?, Marriage Records from 1881, Death Records from ? and Land Records from 1881. The Register of Deeds holds land and vital records if they have not been transferred to the state archives in Raleigh. Land records may include deeds, grants, plats, and other miscellaneous items. houses most birth and death records and marriage licenses.
- Durham County Clerk of Court has Probate Records from 1875, Court Records from 1881 and Divorce Records from call court clerk for details. The County Clerk of Court holds probate records and court records if they have not been transferred to the state archives in Raleigh. Probate records include not only wills, but also loose estates records. Court records may include apprentice bonds, bastardy bonds, and officials' or constables' bonds in addition to dockets, fee and account books, and court minutes and orders. They also have Divorce Records.
- Durham County Tax Assessor / Collector
- Durham Co. North Carolina County Health Department
Durham County, North Carolina Census Records
- Learn More: State of North Carolina Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: Census Substitutes Index, 1790-1890
- State Population Schedules: None
- Native American Population Schedules: 1894-1913
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: None
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: None
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: None
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: None
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Durham County, North Carolina Vital Records
- Learn More: State of North Carolina Vital Records
- Birth Records: from October 1913 to present
- Marriage Records: from January 1962 to present
- Death Records: from January 1, 1930 to present
- Divorce Records: from January 1958 to present
- Locations: North Carolina Vital Records
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Death, Divorce and Marriage Certificate Applications.
- In Person: North Carolina Vital Records (Cooper Memorial Health Building), 225 N. McDowell St., Raleigh, NC 27603-1382; 919-733-3000
Durham County, North Carolina Resources
- Durham - Orange Genealogical Society of NC
- Durham County, North Carolina Message Boards
- Durham County, North Carolina Genealogy Forum read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Durham County