Dare County, North Carolina Genealogy Guide
|Other NC Resources|
|NC Birth Records
NC Marriage Records
NC Divorce Records
NC Death Records
NC Ancestor Records
NC Military Databases
NC Data Collections
NC Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Dare County, North Carolina (Map It) was created on February 3, 1870 from Currituck County, Tyrrell County, and Hyde County. This county was named for Virginia Dare (b. 1587), the first child born of English parents in America. Learn More About State of North Carolina History.
Dare County Cities and Towns include KillDevilHills, KittyHawk, Manteo, NagsHead, SouthernShores, Duck, MannsHarbor, Hatteras, Buxton, Avon, Rodanthe, Salvo, Wanchese, Waves, Colington. A Map of Dare County, North Carolina contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Dare County Townships include Kinnakeet , Hatteras , Atlantic , Croatan , East Lake , Nags Head. View a Map of Dare County Townships.
Dare County, North Carolina Courthouse Records
Dare County, NC Courthouse
Old Dare County Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Dare county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered. Also see the Dare County Records in the North Carolina State Archives.
- Dare County Register of Deeds has Birth Records from ?, Marriage Records from 1870, Death Records from ? and Land Records from 1804. The Register of Deeds holds land and vital records if they have not been transferred to the state archives in Raleigh. Land records may include deeds, grants, plats, and other miscellaneous items. houses most birth and death records and marriage licenses.
- Dare County Clerk of Court has Probate Records from 1832, Court Records from 1869 and Divorce Records from call court clerk for details. The County Clerk of Court holds probate records and court records if they have not been transferred to the state archives in Raleigh. Probate records include not only wills, but also loose estates records. Court records may include apprentice bonds, bastardy bonds, and officials' or constables' bonds in addition to dockets, fee and account books, and court minutes and orders. They also have Divorce Records.
- Dare County Tax Assessor / Collector
- Dare Co. North Carolina County Health Department
Dare County, North Carolina Census Records
- Learn More: State of North Carolina Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: Census Substitutes Index, 1790-1890
- State Population Schedules: None
- Native American Population Schedules: 1894-1913
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: None
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Dare County, North Carolina Vital Records
- Learn More: State of North Carolina Vital Records
- Birth Records: from October 1913 to present
- Marriage Records: from January 1962 to present
- Death Records: from January 1, 1930 to present
- Divorce Records: from January 1958 to present
- Locations: North Carolina Vital Records
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Death, Divorce and Marriage Certificate Applications.
- In Person: North Carolina Vital Records (Cooper Memorial Health Building), 225 N. McDowell St., Raleigh, NC 27603-1382; 919-733-3000
Dare County, North Carolina Resources
Dare County, North Carolina External Links
- Historical Newspapers from North Carolina (1719 - 1977)
- Dare County, North Carolina Books - Amazon
- Abstracts of Wills and Other Records, Currituck and Dare Counties, North Carolina (1663-1850)
- Dare Co., North Carolina - FindaGrave
- A History of Dare County, North Carolina
- North Carolina Digital Collections