Carteret County, North Carolina Genealogy Guide
|Other NC Resources|
| NC Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
NC Ancestor Records
NC Military Databases
NC Data Collections
NC Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Carteret County, North Carolina (Map It) was created on 1722 from Craven Precinct and Bath County. This county was named for John Carteret, 2nd Earl Granville (1690–1763), who inherited one-eighth share in the Province of Carolina through his great-grandfather George Carteret. Learn More About State of North Carolina History.
Carteret County Cities and Towns include Atlantic Beach, Beaufort, Bogue, Cape Carteret, Cedar Point, EmeraldIsle, Indian Beach, Morehead City, Newport, Peletier, Pine Knoll Shores. A Map of Carteret County, North Carolina contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Carteret County Townships include Merrimon, Marshallberg, Harlowe, Harkers Island, Atlantic, Beaufort, Cedar Island, Davis, Smyrna, Sea Level, Portsmouth, Newport, Morehead, Stacy, Straits, White Oak. View a Map of Carteret County Townships.
Carteret County, North Carolina Courthouse Records
Carteret County, NC Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Carteret county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered. Also see the Carteret County Records in the North Carolina State Archives.
- Carteret County Register of Deeds has Birth Records from 1912, Marriage Records from 1746, Death Records from 1912 and Land Records from 1721. The Register of Deeds holds land and vital records if they have not been transferred to the state archives in Raleigh. Land records may include deeds, grants, plats, and other miscellaneous items. houses most birth and death records and marriage licenses.
- Carteret County Clerk of Court has Probate Records from 1744, Court Records from 1723 and Divorce Records from call court clerk for details. The County Clerk of Court holds probate records and court records if they have not been transferred to the state archives in Raleigh. Probate records include not only wills, but also loose estates records. Court records may include apprentice bonds, bastardy bonds, and officials' or constables' bonds in addition to dockets, fee and account books, and court minutes and orders. They also have Divorce Records.
- Carteret County Tax Assessor / Collector
- Carteret Co. North Carolina County Health Department
Carteret County, North Carolina Census Records
- Learn More: State of North Carolina Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1790 (incomplete), 1800 (incomplete), 1810 (incomplete), 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1660-1820, Census Substitutes Index, 1790-1890
- State Population Schedules: 1784-1787
- Native American Population Schedules: 1894-1913
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Carteret County, North Carolina Vital Records
- Learn More: State of North Carolina Vital Records
- Birth Records: from October 1913 to present
- Marriage Records: from January 1962 to present
- Death Records: from January 1, 1930 to present
- Divorce Records: from January 1958 to present
- Locations: North Carolina Vital Records
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Death, Divorce and Marriage Certificate Applications.
- In Person: North Carolina Vital Records (Cooper Memorial Health Building), 225 N. McDowell St., Raleigh, NC 27603-1382; 919-733-3000
Carteret County, North Carolina Resources
- Carteret County Historical Society
- Carteret County, North Carolina Message Boards
- Carteret County, North Carolina Genealogy Forum read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Carteret County