American military history in New York started with the establishment of the colonial militia early on in the seventeenth century typically to battle to prevent assaults from native inhabitants. The benefits and value of New York military records in family history research for ancestors that were veterans are obvious but New York military records can also be valuable to researchers whose primary ancestors were not soldiers in any war. Mainly because of the volume of genealogical details covered in quite a few New York military pension records they should not be overlooked during the research process.
- New York Military Records (Fold3.com)
- New York Pension Project (usgwarchives.net)
- New York Military Record Books (amazon.com)
New York in the Colonial Wars
Colonial War Website Links
- New York Colonial Muster Rolls, 1664-1775, Vol. II (search.ancestry.com)
- New York Colonial War Books (amazon.com)
Revolutionary War Website Links
- Research in the Revolutionary War 1775-1783 (uswars.net)
- Organized military New York units in the Revolutionary War (uswars.net)
- Revolutionary War links from fold3.com with original data from the National Archives:
- New York Final Payment Vouchers Index for Military Pensions, 1818-1864 These slips serve as an index to final and last payments to over 65,000 veterans of the Revolutionary War and some later wars.
- New York Revolutionary War Pensions Revolutionary War Pension and Bounty-Land Warrant Application Files.
- New York Revolutionary War Prize Cases – Captured Vessels Prize cases heard on appeal from Colonial and state courts by the Continental Congress and the Court of Appeals in Cases of Capture.
- New York Revolutionary War Rolls, 1775-1783 Muster rolls, payrolls, strength returns, and other miscellaneous personnel, pay, and supply records of American Army units, 1775-83.
- New York Revolutionary War Service Records Compiled service records of soldiers who served in the American Army during the Revolutionary War, 1775-1783.
- Revolutionary War links from http://search.ancestry.com:
- New York Military in the Revolution
- Muster and Pay Rolls of the War of the Revolution
- Orderly books of the Fourth New York Regiment, 1778-1780, the Second New York Regiment, 1780-1783
- New York in the Revolution
- Register of the Empire State Society of the Sons of the American Revolution
- New York Pensioners, 1835
- New York Revolutionary War Books (amazon.com)
New York in the War of 1812
War of 1812 Website Links
- Research in the War of 1812 1812-1815 (uswars.net)