Herkimer County, New York Genealogy Guide
|Other NY Resources|
| NY Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
NY Ancestor Records
NY Military Databases
NY Data Collections
NY Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Herkimer County is bordered by St. Lawrence County (north), Hamilton County (east), Montgomery County (east), Fulton County (east), Otsego County (south), Oneida County (west), Lewis County (northwest).
Herkimer County Cities and Towns include Cold Brook (village), Columbia (town), Danube (town), Dolgeville (village), Fairfield (town), Frankfort (town), Frankfort (village), German Flatts (town), Herkimer (village), Herkimer (town), Ilion (village), Litchfield (town), Little Falls (town), Little Falls (city), Manheim (town), Middleville (village), Mohawk (village), Newport (town), Newport (village), Norway (town), Ohio (town), Poland (village), Russia (town), Salisbury (town), Schuyler (town), Stark (town), Warren (town), Webb (town), West Winfield (village), Winfield (town).
Herkimer County, New York Courthouse Records
Herkimer County, NY Courthouse
The Herkimer County Courthouse is located in Herkimer, New York. Also contact local Town Clerks. They are responsible for vast amounts of local information from deeds, property transfers, and genealogical materials. Research on place and road names, the history of property transfers and much more are available through your Town Clerk. They are a tremendous resources. Learn More About State of New York Court, Tax, Land and Probate Records.
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Herkimer county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Herkimer County Clerk has Land Records from 1804; Deeds 1791-98 for what became Oneida County are in Utica, Court Records from 1804 and Naturalization Records. State court naturalization records remain in custody of the county clerks. Older court naturalization records have been transferred to the National Archives--Northeast Region. The County Clerk is the keeper of most civil and criminal trial court records for Supreme Court and County Court, naturalizations, marriages (1908–35), censuses (Some county clerks' offices hold duplicate copies of some of the State censuses taken periodically between 1825 and 1925 and copies of the federal census), as well as deeds and mortgages.
- Herkimer County Surrogate Court Clerk has Probate Records from 1792. The County Surrogate Court Clerk maintain records of wills, letters testamentary, letters of administration, orders and decrees, and appointments of guardians; and filed papers, including original wills, petitions for probate (gives date of death and lists next of kin), performance bonds, property inventories (seldom found after ca. 1900), administrator's or executor's accountings, etc. Surrogate's Courts create comprehensive indexes to records and files.
- Herkimer County Treasurer is responsible for the collection of taxes.
- Herkimer County Historian maintains archival holdings for virtually every facet of the county’s history. In New York State, every municipality (town, city, village, county) must have an appointed historian. Most of the towns have their own historians as well and each can be contacted. The County Historian may provide access to obituaries, vital records, church records, maps, and family files or journals. Some historians provide search services for their office records and others may refer you to local genealogists who research in the area.
Herkimer County, New York Census Records
- Learn More: State of New York Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1660-1820
- State Population Schedules: 1855, 1865, 1875, 1892, 1905, 1915, 1925
- Other State Census Schedules: Census of Inmates in Almshouses and Poorhouses, 1830-1920, Census Mortality Schedules, 1850-1880, Non-Population Schedules 1850-1880
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Herkimer County, New York Vital Records
- Learn More: State of New York Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from 1880 to present
- Marriage Records: from 1880 to present
- Divorce Records: from January 1963 to present. Earlier Records are in the County Clerk's Office.
- Locations: New York State Dept of Health, Vital Records Section
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate, Genealogy Applications.
- In Person: New York State Dept of Health, Vital Records Section, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12237; (518) 474-3077, (518) 474-3038 Information
Herkimer County, New York Resources
- State of New York Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for New York
- Herkimer County Historical Society
- Little Falls Historical Society
- Central New York Genealogical Society
- Frank J. Basloe Public Library
- Ilion Free Public Library
- Herkimer's Historic Four Corners
- New York Genealogy Research Community
- Herkimer County, New York Message Boards
- Herkimer County, New York Genealogy Forum
Herkimer County, New York External Links
- Historical Newspapers from New York (1719 - 1992)
- Herkimer County, New York Books - Amazon
- Herkimer Co., New York - FindaGrave
- Ilion, New York Baptists, 1895 and 1923
- Papers read before the Herkimer County Historical Society
- History of Herkimer County, New York
- Compendium of Early Mohawk Valley Families
- A history of Herkimer County
- Herkimer County in the World War : 1916 to 1918
- Herkimer County, New York Links - Cyndi's List
- Herkimer Co. NYGenweb
- Herkimer and Otsego Counties, New York Directories, 1917
- Gazetteer and business directory of Herkimer County, N.Y. : for 1869-70
- Herkimer County, New York Ancestry Database Collections
- Herkimer County, New York Soldiers, 1916-1918
- Herkimer County, New York Military Records