Grant County, New Mexico Records
Grant County, New Mexico (Map It) was created on January 30, 1868 from Doña Ana County. The county was named in honor of Ulysses Simpson Grant, the Civil War general and eighteenth president of the United States.
Grant County Cities and Towns include Hurley, Silver City, Bayard.
Grant County, New Mexico Courthouse Records
Grant County, NM Courthouse
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Grant county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
(Pinos Altos, 1869-72). Register of Marriages (1868-1872) available at the New Mexico State Records Center and Archives.
- Grant County Clerks office has Marriage Records from 1868, Land Records from 1872 and Probate Records from 1887. The County Clerks office has land records, including deeds, mining records, surveys, and plats; marriage records; and some probate records. Also Military discharges, liens, mortgages, powers of attorney, and miscellaneous affidavits may be found there.
- Grant County 6th District Court Clerk has many responsibilities which include courts of general jurisdiction, including probate and divorce, actions, as well as jury trials.
Grant County, New Mexico Census Records
- Learn More: State of New Mexico Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- Territorial Population Schedules: 1885
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Grant County, New Mexico Vital Records
- Learn More: State of New Mexico Vital Records
- Birth & Death Records: from 1920 to present and delayed records since 1880.
- Marriage Records: None, See County Clerk's Office
- Divorce Records: None, See Magistrate Court's Office
- Locations: New Mexico Bureau of Vital Records
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: New Mexico Vital Records and Health Statistics, 1105 St. Francis Dr., Santa Fe, NM 87502; (505) 827-0121
Grant County, New Mexico Resources
- Silver City Family History Center, 3755 N Swan St., Silver City, NM. Phone 505-388-1068
- Silver City Museum
- Grant County, New Mexico Message Boards