Sierra County, New Mexico Genealogy Guide
|Other NM Resources|
|NM Birth Records|
NM Marriage Records
NM Divorce Records
NM Death Records
NM Ancestor Records
NM Military Databases
NM Data Collections
NM Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Sierra County, New Mexico (Map It) was created on April 3, 1884 from Doña Ana County and Socorro County. The county was named possibly named for the Black Range. (Sierra is mountain range in Spanish.). Learn More About State of New Mexico History
Sierra County Cities and Towns include Elephant Butte, Truth or Consequences, Williamsburg.
Sierra County, New Mexico Courthouse Records
Sierra County, NM Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Sierra county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered. (Hillsborough, 1884; Truth or Consequences, originally called Hot Springs) Marriage Licenses, Book B (1865—82) and Marriage Certificates (1887—1931) available at the New Mexico State Records Center and Archives.
- Sierra County Clerks office has Marriage Records from 1865, Land Records from 1884 and Probate Records from 1884. The County Clerks office has land records, including deeds, mining records, surveys, and plats; marriage records; and some probate records. Also Military discharges, liens, mortgages, powers of attorney, and miscellaneous affidavits may be found there.
- Sierra County District Court Clerk has many responsibilities which include courts of general jurisdiction, including probate and divorce, actions, as well as jury trials.
Sierra County, New Mexico Census Records
- Learn More: State of New Mexico Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- Territorial Population Schedules: 1885
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: None
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: None
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: None
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Sierra County, New Mexico Vital Records
- Learn More: State of New Mexico Vital Records
- Birth & Death Records: from 1920 to present and delayed records since 1880.
- Marriage Records: None, See County Clerk's Office
- Divorce Records: None, See Magistrate Court's Office
- Locations: New Mexico Bureau of Vital Records
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: New Mexico Vital Records and Health Statistics, 1105 St. Francis Dr., Santa Fe, NM 87502; (505) 827-0121
Sierra County, New Mexico Resources
- Geronimo Springs Museum, 221 Main St., Truth or Consequences, New Mexico, 87901.
- Sierra County Genealogical Society
- Sierra County, New Mexico Message Boards
- Sierra County, New Mexico Genealogy Forum read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Sierra County