Luna County, New Mexico Genealogy Guide
|Other NM Resources|
|NM Birth Records|
NM Marriage Records
NM Divorce Records
NM Death Records
NM Ancestor Records
NM Military Databases
NM Data Collections
NM Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Luna County, New Mexico (Map It) was created on March 16, 1901 from Doña Ana County and Grant County. The county was named in honor of Solomon Luna, the largest land owner in the county at the time of its creation; itself Spanish for moon. Learn More About State of New Mexico History
Luna County Cities and Towns include Deming.
Luna County, New Mexico Courthouse Records
Luna County, NM Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Luna county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered. Applications for Marriage Licenses (1909—1912) available at the New Mexico State Records Center and Archives.
- Luna County Clerks office has Marriage Records from 1901, Land Records from pre-1901 and Probate Records from 1901. The County Clerks office has land records, including deeds, mining records, surveys, and plats; marriage records; and some probate records. Also Military discharges, liens, mortgages, powers of attorney, and miscellaneous affidavits may be found there.
- Luna County 6th District Court Clerk has many responsibilities which include courts of general jurisdiction, including probate and divorce, actions, as well as jury trials.
Luna County, New Mexico Census Records
- Learn More: State of New Mexico Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- Territorial Population Schedules: None
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: None
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: None
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: None
- Union Veterans Schedules: None
Luna County, New Mexico Vital Records
- Learn More: State of New Mexico Vital Records
- Birth & Death Records: from 1920 to present and delayed records since 1880.
- Marriage Records: None, See County Clerk's Office
- Divorce Records: None, See Magistrate Court's Office
- Locations: New Mexico Bureau of Vital Records
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: New Mexico Vital Records and Health Statistics, 1105 St. Francis Dr., Santa Fe, NM 87502; (505) 827-0121
Luna County, New Mexico Resources
- Columbus Historical Society, P.O. Box 562, Columbus, New Mexico, 88029
- Deming Family History Center, 1000 W Florida, Deming, NM. Phone 505-544-0286
- Deming Historical Society, 301 South Silver, Deming, New Mexico, 88030
- Luna County, New Mexico Message Boards
- Luna County, New Mexico Genealogy Forum read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Luna County