Eddy County, New Mexico Genealogy Guide
|Other NM Resources|
|NM Birth Records|
NM Marriage Records
NM Divorce Records
NM Death Records
NM Ancestor Records
NM Military Databases
NM Data Collections
NM Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Eddy County, New Mexico (Map It) was created on February 25, 1889 from Lincoln County. The county was named in honor of Charles Eddy, a rancher and developer of the area. Learn More About State of New Mexico History
Eddy County Cities and Towns include Artesia, Carlsbad.
Eddy County, New Mexico Courthouse Records
Eddy County, NM Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Eddy county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered. Marriage Certificates (1891-1921) available at the New Mexico State Records Center and Archives.
- Eddy County Clerks office has Marriage Records from 1891, Land Records from 1884 and Probate Records from 1912. The County Clerks office has land records, including deeds, mining records, surveys, and plats; marriage records; and some probate records. Also Military discharges, liens, mortgages, powers of attorney, and miscellaneous affidavits may be found there.
- Eddy County 5th District Court Clerk has many responsibilities which include courts of general jurisdiction, including probate and divorce, actions, as well as jury trials.
Eddy County, New Mexico Census Records
- Learn More: State of New Mexico Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- Territorial Population Schedules: 1885
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: None
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: None
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: None
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Eddy County, New Mexico Vital Records
- Learn More: State of New Mexico Vital Records
- Birth & Death Records: from 1920 to present and delayed records since 1880.
- Marriage Records: None, See County Clerk's Office
- Divorce Records: None, See Magistrate Court's Office
- Locations: New Mexico Bureau of Vital Records
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: New Mexico Vital Records and Health Statistics, 1105 St. Francis Dr., Santa Fe, NM 87502; (505) 827-0121
Eddy County, New Mexico Resources
- Artesia Genealogical Society, P. O. Box 803, Artesia, New Mexico, 88210.
- Artesia Historical Society, 505 West Richardson Ave., Artesia, New Mexico, 88210.
- Carlsbad Family History Center, 1211 W Church St., Carlsbad, NM. Phone 505-885-1368
- Carlsbad Historical Society, 418 W. Fox St., Carlsbad, New Mexico, 88220.
- Eddy County Genealogical Society, , Carlsbad, New Mexico, 88220.
- Eddy County, New Mexico Message Boards
- Eddy County, New Mexico Genealogy Forum read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Eddy County