Union County, New Jersey Genealogy Guide
|Other NJ Resources|
|NJ Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
NJ Ancestor Records
NJ Military Databases
NJ Data Collections
NJ Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Union County, New Jersey (Map It) was created on March 19 1857 from Essex County. The county was named for the union of the United States, which was being threatened by the dispute over slavery . Learn More About State of New Jersey History
Union County Cities and Towns include Elizabeth, Linden, Plainfield, Rahway, Summit, Westfield.
Union County Townships include Berkeley Heights Township, Clark, Cranford, Hillside, Scotch Plains, Springfield Township, Union Township, Winfield Township. Boroughs include Fanwood, Garwood, Kenilworth, Mountainside, New Providence, Roselle Park, Roselle.
A Map of Union County, New Jersey contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Union County, New Jersey Courthouse Records
Union County, NJ Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Union county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Union County Clerk has Land Records from 1857 and Marriage Records from 1857. The County Clerk is responsible for land records, including deeds and mortgages, naturalizations, marriages (usually 1795-1840s), and various county court records. A few original county justice of the peace dockets are at the New Jersey State Archives.
- Union County Surrogate Court / Orphan's Court has Probate Records from 1857. The County Surrogate Court / Orphan's Court probates Wills, appoints Administrators, appoints Guardians for minors, handles applications for Adult Incapacitated Persons, Conservatorships, Adoptions, contested Probate matters, Accountings, Trusts and most other matters involving Estates.
- Union County Treasurer is responsible for the collection of taxes.
- New Jersey Department of Health has copies of Birth, Marriage and Death records from 1878 to the present. There is a fee for each copy requested. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Union County, New Jersey Census Records
- Learn More: State of New Jersey Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1643-1890
- State Population Schedules: 1895
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Union County, New Jersey Vital Records
- Learn More: State of New Jersey Vital Records
- Birth, Marriage and Death Records: from 1901 to present
- Divorce Records: does not have divorce records. At the Superior Court of New Jersey Records Center
- Locations: New Jersey State Department of Health and Senior Services, New Jersey State Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: New Jersey State Department of Health and Senior Services, State Registrar Search Unit, PO Box 370, Trenton, NJ 08625-0370; (609) 292-4087
Union County, New Jersey Resources
- Cranford Historical Society
- Union County Historical Society, 116 E. Fourth Ave., Roselle, NJ 07203; 908-245-9010
- Hillside Historical Society
- New Providence Historical Society
- Plainfield, Historical Society
- Rahway Historical Society, 1632 St. Georges Ave., Rahway
- Springfield Historical Society
- Summit Historical Society
- Westfield, Genealogical Society Of
- Union County, New Jersey Message Boards
- Union County, New Jersey Genealogy Forum read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Union County
Union County, New Jersey External Links
- Historical Newspapers from New Jersey (1777 - 1972)
- Union County, New Jersey Books - Amazon
- Inscriptions on tombstones and monuments in the burying grounds of the First Presbyterian Church and St. Johns Church at Elizab
- Copies and extracts of the old records of the Presbyterian Church at Turkey (now New Providence, Union County, New Jersey)
- Inscriptions from the cemetery of the Presbyterian Church at Westfield in New Jersey from the year 1740 to the year 1899
- The Revolutionary cemetery in Westfield, New Jersey
- Union Co., New Jersey - FindaGrave
- The Records of the Baptist Church at the Scotch Plains in East New Jersey in the year of our Lord 1747
- Records of the First Presbyterian Church, Elizabeth
- Records of Saint Paul's Episcopal, 414 East Broad Street, Westfield, New Jersey, 07090, 1867-1901
- Inventory of the church archives of New Jersey
- County of Union, New Jersey History
- The Union County story
- History of Union County, New Jersey, 1664-1923
- History of Union County, New Jersey
- History of Elizabeth, New Jersey : including the early history of Union County
- Commemorative history of Presbyterian Church in Westfield, New Jersey, 1728-1928
- History of Hillside, N.J., and vicinity : including Lyons Farms, Salem, Saybrook and early history of Newark and Elizabethtown
- Union County, New Jersey Links - Cyndi's List
- Union Co. NJGenweb
- Elizabeth, New Jersey Directories, 1883-91
- Essex, Union, Hudson Counties New Jersey 1859 Directory
- Elizabeth, New Jersey, City directory, 1897
- Cook & Hall's Elizabeth City directory for 1883-84
- Drake and Cook's Elizabeth City directory for 1877
- Boyd's business directory, of Essex, Hudson, and Union counties, N.J.
- Directory of the city of Plainfield and borough of North Plainfield
- Directory of the city of Plainfield, Union County and borough of North Plainfield, Somerset County, N.J. : 1887-88
- Union County, New Jersey Ancestry Database Collections
- Home guard roster
- The Revolutionary camp ground at Plainfield, New Jersey : an address
- Union County, New Jersey Military Records