Ocean County, New Jersey Genealogy Guide
|Other NJ Resources|
|NJ Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
NJ Ancestor Records
NJ Military Databases
NJ Data Collections
NJ Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Ocean County, New Jersey (Map It) was created on February 15, 1850 from Monmouth County. The county was named for the Atlantic Ocean, which forms the eastern border of New Jersey . Learn More About State of New Jersey History
Ocean County Cities and Towns include . Communities include Barnegat CDP, Bayville, Beach Haven West, Cedar Glen Lakes, Cedar Glen West, Crestwood Village, Dover Beaches North, Dover Beaches South, Forked River, High Bar Harbor, Holiday City-Berkeley, Holiday City South, Holiday Heights, Lakewood CDP, Leisure Knoll, Leisure Village, Leisure Village East, Leisure Village West-Pine Lake Park, Loveladies, Manahawkin, Mystic Island, New Egypt, North Beach Haven, Ocean Acres, Pine Ridge at Crestwood, Silver Ridge, Toms River CDP, Vista Center, Waretown, Warren Grove, West Creek.
Ocean County Townships include Barnegat, Berkeley, Brick, Eagleswood, Jackson, Lacey, Lakewood, Little Egg Harbor, Long Beach, Manchester, Ocean, Plumsted, Stafford, Toms River. Boroughs include Barnegat Light, Bay Head, Beach Haven, Beachwood, Harvey Cedars, Island Heights, Lakehurst, Lavallette, Mantoloking, Ocean Gate, Pine Beach, Point Pleasant, Point Pleasant Beach, Seaside Heights, Seaside Park, Ship Bottom, South Toms River, Surf City, Tuckerton.
A Map of Ocean County, New Jersey contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Ocean County, New Jersey Courthouse Records
Ocean County, NJ Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Ocean county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Ocean County Clerk has Land Records from 1850 and Marriage Records from 1850. The County Clerk is responsible for land records, including deeds and mortgages, naturalizations, marriages (usually 1795-1840s), and various county court records. A few original county justice of the peace dockets are at the New Jersey State Archives.
- Ocean County Surrogate Court / Orphan's Court has Probate Records from 1850. The County Surrogate Court / Orphan's Court probates Wills, appoints Administrators, appoints Guardians for minors, handles applications for Adult Incapacitated Persons, Conservatorships, Adoptions, contested Probate matters, Accountings, Trusts and most other matters involving Estates.
- Ocean County Treasurer is responsible for the collection of taxes.
- New Jersey Department of Health has copies of Birth, Marriage and Death records from 1878 to the present. There is a fee for each copy requested. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Ocean County, New Jersey Census Records
- Learn More: State of New Jersey Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1643-1890
- State Population Schedules: 1895
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Ocean County, New Jersey Vital Records
- Learn More: State of New Jersey Vital Records
- Birth, Marriage and Death Records: from 1901 to present
- Divorce Records: does not have divorce records. At the Superior Court of New Jersey Records Center
- Locations: New Jersey State Department of Health and Senior Services, New Jersey State Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: New Jersey State Department of Health and Senior Services, State Registrar Search Unit, PO Box 370, Trenton, NJ 08625-0370; (609) 292-4087
Ocean County, New Jersey Resources
- Ocean County Genealogical Society
- Ocean County Historical Society
- Barnegat Light Historical Society
- Berkeley Township Historical Society
- Lacey Township Historical Society
- Toms River Seaport Society
- Tuckerton Historical Society
- Ocean County, New Jersey Message Boards
- Ocean County, New Jersey Genealogy Forum read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Ocean County