Hunterdon County, New Jersey Genealogy Guide
|Other NJ Resources|
|NJ Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
NJ Ancestor Records
NJ Military Databases
NJ Data Collections
NJ Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Hunterdon County, New Jersey (Map It) was created on 1714 from Burlington County. The county was named in honor of Robert Hunter (1664–1734), the Colonial Governor of New Jersey from 1710 to 1720. Learn More About State of New Jersey History
Hunterdon County Cities and Towns include Lambertville, Clinton. Communities include Annandale, Pittstown, Raven Rock, Ringoes, White House Station.
Hunterdon County Townships include Alexandria, Bethlehem, Clinton, Delaware, East Amwell, Franklin, Holland, Kingwood, Lebanon, Raritan, Readington, Tewksbury, Union, West Amwell. Boroughs include Bloomsbury, Califon, Flemington, Frenchtown, Glen Gardner, Hampton, High Bridge, Lebanon, Milford, Stockton.
A Map of Hunterdon County, New Jersey contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Hunterdon County, New Jersey Courthouse Records
Hunterdon County, NJ Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Hunterdon county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Hunterdon County Clerk has Land Records from 1766 mortgages / 1785 deeds and Marriage Records from 1714. The County Clerk is responsible for land records, including deeds and mortgages, naturalizations, marriages (usually 1795-1840s), and various county court records. A few original county justice of the peace dockets are at the New Jersey State Archives.
- Hunterdon County Surrogate Court / Orphan's Court has Probate Records from 1785 orphans' court minutes / 1804 surrogates' records . The County Surrogate Court / Orphan's Court probates Wills, appoints Administrators, appoints Guardians for minors, handles applications for Adult Incapacitated Persons, Conservatorships, Adoptions, contested Probate matters, Accountings, Trusts and most other matters involving Estates.
- Hunterdon County Treasurer is responsible for the collection of taxes.
- New Jersey Department of Health has copies of Birth, Marriage and Death records from 1878 to the present. There is a fee for each copy requested. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Hunterdon County, New Jersey Census Records
- Learn More: State of New Jersey Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1643-1890
- State Population Schedules: 1895
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Hunterdon County, New Jersey Vital Records
- Learn More: State of New Jersey Vital Records
- Birth, Marriage and Death Records: from 1901 to present
- Divorce Records: does not have divorce records. At the Superior Court of New Jersey Records Center
- Locations: New Jersey State Department of Health and Senior Services, New Jersey State Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: New Jersey State Department of Health and Senior Services, State Registrar Search Unit, PO Box 370, Trenton, NJ 08625-0370; (609) 292-4087
Hunterdon County, New Jersey Resources
- Hunterdon County Historical Society
- Lambertville Historical Society
- Hunterdon County, New Jersey Message Boards
- Hunterdon County, New Jersey Genealogy Forum read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Hunterdon County
Hunterdon County, New Jersey External Links
- Historical Newspapers from New Jersey (1777 - 1972)
- Hunterdon County, New Jersey Books - Amazon
- Hunterdon County, New Jersey Marriages, 1795-1875
- Marriage records of Hunterdon County, New Jersey, 1795-1875
- Tombstone inscriptions from Hunterdon County cemeteries
- Hunterdon Co., New Jersey - FindaGrave
- Inventory of the church archives of New Jersey
- Northwestern New Jersey : a history of Somerset, Morris, Hunterdon, Warren and Sussex counties
- History of Frenchtown