Hudson County, New Jersey Genealogy Guide
|Other NJ Resources|
|NJ Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
NJ Ancestor Records
NJ Military Databases
NJ Data Collections
NJ Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Hudson County, New Jersey (Map It) was created on February 22, 1840 from Bergen County. The county was named for the English explorer Henry Hudson (d. 1611), who explored portions of New Jersey's coastline . Learn More About State of New Jersey History
Hudson County is bordered by New York County (Manhattan), New York (east), Richmond County (Staten Island), New York (south), Essex County (west), Union County (west), Kings County (Brooklyn), New York (south) and Bergen County (north).
Hudson County Cities and Towns include Bayonne, Hoboken, Jersey City, Union City, Guttenberg, Harrison, Kearny, Secaucus, West New York. Communities include Exchange Place, Greenville, Liberty State Park, Newport, Paulus Hook.
Hudson County Townships include North Bergen, Weehawken. Boroughs include East Newark.
A Map of Hudson County, New Jersey contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Hudson County, New Jersey Courthouse Records
Hudson County, NJ Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Hudson county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Hudson County Clerk has Land Records from 1840 and Marriage Records from 1840. The County Clerk is responsible for land records, including deeds and mortgages, naturalizations, marriages (usually 1795-1840s), and various county court records. A few original county justice of the peace dockets are at the New Jersey State Archives.
- Hudson CountySurrogate Court / Orphan's Court has Probate Records from 1840. The County Surrogate Court / Orphan's Court probates Wills, appoints Administrators, appoints Guardians for minors, handles applications for Adult Incapacitated Persons, Conservatorships, Adoptions, contested Probate matters, Accountings, Trusts and most other matters involving Estates.
- Hudson County Treasurer is responsible for the collection of taxes.
- New Jersey Department of Health has copies of Birth, Marriage and Death records from 1878 to the present. There is a fee for each copy requested. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Hudson County, New Jersey Census Records
- Learn More: State of New Jersey Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1643-1890
- State Population Schedules: 1895
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Hudson County, New Jersey Vital Records
- Learn More: State of New Jersey Vital Records
- Birth, Marriage and Death Records: from 1901 to present
- Divorce Records: does not have divorce records. At the Superior Court of New Jersey Records Center
- Locations: New Jersey State Department of Health and Senior Services, New Jersey State Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: New Jersey State Department of Health and Senior Services, State Registrar Search Unit, PO Box 370, Trenton, NJ 08625-0370; (609) 292-4087
Hudson County, New Jersey Resources
- Hudson County Division of Cultural and Heritage Affairs
- The Historical Society of Hudson County
- Hudson County Genealogical Society
- Hudson County, New Jersey Message Boards
- Hudson County, New Jersey Genealogy Forum read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Hudson County
Hudson County, New Jersey External Links
- Historical Newspapers from New Jersey (1777 - 1972)
- Hudson County, New Jersey Books - Amazon
- Hudson Co., New Jersey - FindaGrave
- Inventory of the church archives of New Jersey
- History of the municipalities of Hudson County, New Jersey, 1630-1923
- History of Essex and Hudson counties, New Jersey
- Genealogical history of Hudson and Bergen Counties, New Jersey
- History of the County of Hudson, New Jersey, from its earliest settlement to the present time
- Hudson County, New Jersey Links - Cyndi's List
- Hudson Co. NJGenweb
- Boyd's business directory of Essex, Hudson, & Union Counties, N.J.
- Jersey City, New Jersey Directories, 1891-93
- Jersey City, New Jersey Directory, 1889-90
- Essex, Union, Hudson Counties New Jersey 1859 Directory
- Hudson County, New Jersey Ancestry Database Collections
- Hudson County, New Jersey Military Records