Gloucester County, New Jersey Genealogy Guide
|Other NJ Resources|
|NJ Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
NJ Ancestor Records
NJ Military Databases
NJ Data Collections
NJ Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Gloucester County is bordered by Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania (north), Camden County (northeast), Atlantic County (southeast), Cumberland County (south), Salem County (southwest), New Castle County, Delaware (west), Delaware County, Pennsylvania (northwest).
Gloucester County Cities and Towns include Clayton, Glassboro, National Park, Newfield, Paulsboro, Pitman, Swedesboro, Wenonah, Westville, Woodbury, Woodbury Heights. Communities include Beckett, Bridgeport, Clarksboro, Franklinville, Gibbstown, Malaga, Mickleton, Mount Royal, Mullica Hill, Oak Valley, Thorofare, Turnersville, Victory Lakes, Williamstown.
Gloucester County Townships include Deptford, East Greenwich, Elk, Franklin, Greenwich, Harrison, Logan, Mantua, Monroe, South Harrison, Washington, West Deptford, Woolwich.
A Map of Gloucester County, New Jersey contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Gloucester County, New Jersey Courthouse Records
Gloucester County, NJ Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Gloucester county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered. The courthouse was destroyed by fire in 1786. Miscellaneous early court records are at the Gloucester County Historical Society.
- Gloucester County Clerk has Land Records from 1766 mortgages /1785 deeds and Marriage Records from 1686. The County Clerk is responsible for land records, including deeds and mortgages, naturalizations, marriages (usually 1795-1840s), and various county court records. A few original county justice of the peace dockets are at the New Jersey State Archives.
- Gloucester CountySurrogate Court / Orphan's Court has Probate Records from 1785 orphans' court minutes / 1804 surrogates' records. The County Surrogate Court / Orphan's Court probates Wills, appoints Administrators, appoints Guardians for minors, handles applications for Adult Incapacitated Persons, Conservatorships, Adoptions, contested Probate matters, Accountings, Trusts and most other matters involving Estates.
- Gloucester County Treasurer is responsible for the collection of taxes.
- New Jersey Department of Health has copies of Birth, Marriage and Death records from 1878 to the present. There is a fee for each copy requested. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Gloucester County, New Jersey Census Records
- Learn More: State of New Jersey Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1643-1890
- State Population Schedules: 1895
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Gloucester County, New Jersey Vital Records
- Learn More: State of New Jersey Vital Records
- Birth, Marriage and Death Records: from 1901 to present
- Divorce Records: does not have divorce records. At the Superior Court of New Jersey Records Center
- Locations: New Jersey State Department of Health and Senior Services, New Jersey State Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: New Jersey State Department of Health and Senior Services, State Registrar Search Unit, PO Box 370, Trenton, NJ 08625-0370; (609) 292-4087
Gloucester County, New Jersey Resources
- Gloucester County Historical Society
- Harrison Township Historical Society
- Monroe Township Historical Society
- Gloucester County, New Jersey Message Boards
- Gloucester County, New Jersey Genealogy Forum read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Gloucester County
Gloucester County, New Jersey External Links
- Historical Newspapers from New Jersey (1777 - 1972)
- Gloucester County, New Jersey Books - Amazon
- Bible records, marriage certificates indexed, place names bibliography
- South Jersey marriages : supplementing the Cape May, Cumberland, Gloucester, and Salem County marriage records
- Copies of wills taken from will book B, Gloucester County, New Jersey Surrogate's Office at Woodbury, New Jersey, 1952
- Transcriptions of early county records of New Jersey
- The Organization and minutes of the Gloucester County Court, 1686-7
- Gloucester Co., New Jersey - FindaGrave
- Inventory of the church archives of New Jersey