Camden County, New Jersey Genealogy Guide
|Other NJ Resources|
|NJ Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
NJ Ancestor Records
NJ Military Databases
NJ Data Collections
NJ Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Camden County, New Jersey (Map It) was created on March 13, 1844 from Gloucester County. The county was named in honor of Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden (1714–1794), an English supporter of the colonists during the American Revolution . Learn More About State of New Jersey History
Camden County Cities and Towns include Camden, Gloucester. Communities include Ashland, Barclay-Kingston, Blackwood, Cherry Hill Mall, Echelon, Erial, Erlton-Ellisburg, Glendora, Golden Triangle, Greentree, Sicklerville, Springdale.
Camden County Townships include Berlin, Cherry Hill, Gloucester, Haddon, Pennsauken, Voorhees, Waterford, Winslow. Boroughs include Audubon, Audubon Park, Barrington, Bellmawr, Berlin, Brooklawn, Chesilhurst, Clementon, Collingswood, Gibbsboro, Haddon Heights, Haddonfield, Hi-Nella, Laurel Springs, Lawnside, Lindenwold, Magnolia, Merchantville, Mount Ephraim, Oaklyn, Pine Hill, Pine Valley, Runnemede, Somerdale, Stratford, Tavistock, Woodlynne.
A Map of Camden County, New Jersey contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Camden County, New Jersey Courthouse Records
Camden County, NJ Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Camden county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Camden County Clerk has Land Records from 1844 and Marriage Records from 1844. The County Clerk is responsible for land records, including deeds and mortgages, naturalizations, marriages (usually 1795-1840s), and various county court records. A few original county justice of the peace dockets are at the New Jersey State Archives.
- Camden CountySurrogate Court / Orphan's Court has Probate Records from 1844. The County Surrogate Court / Orphan's Court probates Wills, appoints Administrators, appoints Guardians for minors, handles applications for Adult Incapacitated Persons, Conservatorships, Adoptions, contested Probate matters, Accountings, Trusts and most other matters involving Estates.
- Camden County Treasurer is responsible for the collection of taxes.
- New Jersey Department of Health has copies of Birth, Marriage and Death records from 1878 to the present. There is a fee for each copy requested. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Camden County, New Jersey Census Records
- Learn More: State of New Jersey Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1643-1890
- State Population Schedules: 1895
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Camden County, New Jersey Vital Records
- Learn More: State of New Jersey Vital Records
- Birth, Marriage and Death Records: from 1901 to present
- Divorce Records: does not have divorce records. At the Superior Court of New Jersey Records Center
- Locations: New Jersey State Department of Health and Senior Services, New Jersey State Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: New Jersey State Department of Health and Senior Services, State Registrar Search Unit, PO Box 370, Trenton, NJ 08625-0370; (609) 292-4087
Camden County, New Jersey Resources
- Camden County Historical Society
- Fairview Historic Society, 3081 Fenwick Rd., Camden NJ
- Haddonfield Historical Society
- Long-a-coming Historical Society
- Camden County, New Jersey Message Boards
- Camden County, New Jersey Genealogy Forum read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Camden County
Camden County, New Jersey External Links
- Historical Newspapers from New Jersey (1777 - 1972)
- Camden County, New Jersey Books - Amazon
- Camden County, New Jersey Marriages, 1837-1910
- Camden County, New Jersey marriages : records filed in the office of the county clerk
- Johnson Cemetery, Camden, New Jersey
- Camden Co., New Jersey - FindaGrave
- Inventory of the church archives of New Jersey
- History of Camden County in the great war, 1917-1918
- Camden County centennial, 1844-1944