Bergen County, New Jersey Genealogy Guide
|Other NJ Resources|
|NJ Birth, Death, Marriage,
Divorce & Death Records
NJ Ancestor Records
NJ Military Databases
NJ Data Collections
NJ Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Bergen County, New Jersey (Map It) was created on March 1, 1683 as one of four original counties created in East Jersey. The county was named for Bergen, New Netherland settlement, itself named for Bergen, North Holland. Learn More About State of New Jersey History
Bergen County Cities and Towns include Englewood, Garfield, Hackensack. Villages include Ridgefield Park, Ridgewood.
Bergen County Townships include Lyndhurst, Mahwah, River Vale, Rochelle Park, Saddle Brook, South Hackensack, Teaneck, Washington Township, Wyckoff. Boroughs include Allendale, Alpine, Bergenfield, Bogota, Carlstadt, Cliffside Park, Closter, Cresskill, Demarest, Dumont, East Rutherford, Edgewater, Elmwood Park, Emerson, Englewood Cliffs, Fair Lawn, Fairview, Fort Lee, Franklin Lakes, Glen Rock, Harrington Park, Hasbrouck Heights, Haworth, Hillsdale, Ho-Ho-Kus, Leonia, Little Ferry, Lodi, Maywood, Midland Park, Montvale, Moonachie, New Milford, North Arlington, Northvale, Norwood, Oakland, Old Tappan, Oradell, Palisades Park, Paramus, Park Ridge, Ramsey, Ridgefield, River Edge, Rockleigh, Rutherford, Saddle River, Tenafly, Teterboro, Upper Saddle River, Waldwick, Wallington, Westwood, Wood-Ridge, Woodcliff Lake.
A Map of Bergen County, New Jersey contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Bergen County, New Jersey Courthouse Records
Bergen County, NJ Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Bergen county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered. Earlier records of the county clerk are in the archives, Cultural and Historic Affairs, 1 Bergen County Plaza, Room 425. These include deeds, 1707 - 1828 (Libers A - Z2), chattel mortgages, soldier burials, justices and freeholders records, voter registrations, slave births and manumissions, and early court records, as well as microfilm of archival court and other records, the originals of which are now at the state archives.
- Bergen County Clerk has Land Records from 1766 mortgages / 1829 deeds and Marriage Records from 1766. The County Clerk is responsible for land records, including deeds and mortgages, naturalizations, marriages (usually 1795-1840s), and various county court records. A few original county justice of the peace dockets are at the New Jersey State Archives.
- Bergen CountySurrogate Court / Orphan's Court has Probate Records from 1785 orphans' court minutes / 1804 surrogates' records.. The County Surrogate Court / Orphan's Court probates Wills, appoints Administrators, appoints Guardians for minors, handles applications for Adult Incapacitated Persons, Conservatorships, Adoptions, contested Probate matters, Accountings, Trusts and most other matters involving Estates.
- Bergen County Treasurer is responsible for the collection of taxes.
- New Jersey Department of Health has copies of Birth, Marriage and Death records from 1878 to the present. There is a fee for each copy requested. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Bergen County, New Jersey Census Records
- Learn More: State of New Jersey Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1643-1890
- State Population Schedules: 1895
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Bergen County, New Jersey Vital Records
- Learn More: State of New Jersey Vital Records
- Birth, Marriage and Death Records: from 1901 to present
- Divorce Records: does not have divorce records. At the Superior Court of New Jersey Records Center
- Locations: New Jersey State Department of Health and Senior Services, New Jersey State Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: New Jersey State Department of Health and Senior Services, State Registrar Search Unit, PO Box 370, Trenton, NJ 08625-0370; (609) 292-4087
Bergen County, New Jersey Resources
Bergen County, New Jersey External Links
- Historical Newspapers from New Jersey (1777 - 1972)
- Bergen County, New Jersey Books - Amazon
- Index of Bergen County marriages
- Bergen County, New Jersey marriage records
- Minutes of the justices and freeholders of Bergen County, New Jersey, 1715-1795
- Bergen Co., New Jersey - FindaGrave
- Bergen Records: Records of the Reformed Protestant Dutch Church of Bergen in New Jersey, 1666 to 1788, Vol. III
- Bergen Records: Records of the Reformed Protestant Dutch Church of Bergen in New Jersey, 1666 to 1788, Vol. II
- Reformed Protestant Dutch Church of Bergen [Jersey City], New Jersey, 1666-1788
- Ramapo Reformed Church, Ramapo Lutheran Church
- Bergen Records: Records of the Reformed Protestant Dutch Church of Bergen in New Jersey, 1666 to 1788, Vol. I
- Inventory of the church archives of New Jersey
- History of Bergen County, New Jersey, 1630-1923
- History of Bergen County, New Jersey
- Genealogical history of Hudson and Bergen Counties, New Jersey
- Bergen County, New Jersey Links - Cyndi's List
- Bergen Co. NJGenweb
- Bergen County, New Jersey Ancestry Database Collections
- Bergen County, New Jersey Military Records