Thurston County, Nebraska Genealogy Guide
|Other NE Resources|
| NE Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
NE Ancestor Records
NE Military Databases
NE Data Collections
NE Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Thurston County, Nebraska (Map It) was created on March 28, 1889 from Blackbird County and Omaha Reservation. The county was named in honor of John Mellen Thurston, a U. S. senator from Nebraska. Learn More About State of Nebraska History
Thurston County is bordered by Dakota County (north), Woodbury County, Iowa (northeast), Monona County, Iowa (east), Burt County (southeast), Cuming County (southwest), Wayne County (west), Dixon County (northwest).
Thurston County Cities and Towns include Emerson, Macy, Pender, Rosalie, Thurston, Walthill, Winnebago.
Thurston County Townships include Anderson, Blackbird, Bryan, Dawes, Flournoy, Merry, Omaha, Pender, Perry, Thayer, Winnebago.
A Map of Thurston County, Nebraska contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Thurston County, Nebraska Courthouse Records
Thurston County, NE Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Thurston county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered. From 1857—89, Thurston was part of the Omaha Reservation.
- Thurston County Clerk has Marriage Records from 1855. The County Clerk is responsible for Marriage Licenses and can also be expected to hold delayed birth registrations. Other records of interest to the researcher include military discharges, voter registrations, estray notices, marks and brands, physician’s registers, farm and ranch names, and school registers.
- Thurston County Register of Deeds has Land Records from 1882. The County Register of Deeds is responsible for maintaining and securing the land records of the county. The duties include preserving of old land records and maintaining records that have been recorded which include, warranty deeds, mortgages, deeds of trust, plats and any other documents that affect a specific piece of land in the county.
- Thurston Clerk of Courts has Probate Records from 1895 and Court Records from 1886. The Clerk of Courts duties include misdemeanor cases, including preliminary hearing in felony cases, civil cases involving less than $45,000, small claims involving less than 1886,400, probate, guardianship, conservatorship, adoption, and eminent domain and function as juvenile courts.
Thurston County, Nebraska Census Records
- Learn More: State of Nebraska Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- State Population Schedules: 1860-1885, 1885
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: None
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: None
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: None
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Thurston County, Nebraska Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Nebraska Vital Records
- Birth & Death Records: from late 1904 to present
- Marriage & Divorce Records: from January 1909 to present
- Locations: Nebraska Office of Vital Statistics
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Death Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Nebraska Health & Human Services System, Vital Records, 1033 “O” Street, Suite 130, Lincoln, Nebraska, Gold’s Galleria, 1st floor (11th & N Streets); PH (402) 471-2871
Thurston County, Nebraska Resources
- Ho-chunk Historical Society, RR 1 Box 21E, Winnebago, NE 68071; (402) 878-2976
- Thurston County, Nebraska Message Boards
- Thurston County, Nebraska Genealogy Forum