Richardson County, Nebraska Genealogy Guide
|Other NE Resources|
|NE Birth, Death, Marriage,
Divorce & Death Records
NE Ancestor Records
NE Military Databases
NE Data Collections
NE Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Richardson County, Nebraska (Map It) was was created on November 23, 1854 as one of Nine Original Counties. The county was named in honor of William A. Richardson, a governor of the Nebraska Territory. Learn More About State of Nebraska History
Richardson County is bordered by Nemaha County (north), Holt County, Missouri (east), Doniphan County, Kansas (southeast), Brown County, Kansas (south), Nemaha County, Kansas (southwest), Pawnee County (west).
Richardson County Cities and Towns include Barada, Dawson, Falls City, Humboldt, Preston, Rulo, Salem, Shubert, Stella, Verdon.
A Map of Richardson County, Nebraska contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Richardson County, Nebraska Courthouse Records
Richardson County, NE Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Richardson county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Richardson County Clerk has Marriage Records from 1855. The County Clerk is responsible for Marriage Licenses and can also be expected to hold delayed birth registrations. Other records of interest to the researcher include military discharges, voter registrations, estray notices, marks and brands, physician’s registers, farm and ranch names, and school registers.
- Richardson County Register of Deeds has Land Records from 1855. The County Register of Deeds is responsible for maintaining and securing the land records of the county. The duties include preserving of old land records and maintaining records that have been recorded which include, warranty deeds, mortgages, deeds of trust, plats and any other documents that affect a specific piece of land in the county.
- Richardson Clerk of Courts has Probate Records from 1855 and Court Records from 1855. The Clerk of Courts duties include misdemeanor cases, including preliminary hearing in felony cases, civil cases involving less than $45,000, small claims involving less than 1855,400, probate, guardianship, conservatorship, adoption, and eminent domain and function as juvenile courts.
Richardson County, Nebraska Census Records
- Learn More: State of Nebraska Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- State Population Schedules: 1860-1885, 1885
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Richardson County, Nebraska Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Nebraska Vital Records
- Birth & Death Records: from late 1904 to present
- Marriage & Divorce Records: from January 1909 to present
- Locations: Nebraska Office of Vital Statistics
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Death Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Nebraska Health & Human Services System, Vital Records, 1033 “O” Street, Suite 130, Lincoln, Nebraska, Gold’s Galleria, 1st floor (11th & N Streets); PH (402) 471-2871