Holt County, Nebraska Genealogy Guide
|Other NE Resources|
| NE Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
NE Ancestor Records
NE Military Databases
NE Data Collections
NE Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Holt County, Nebraska (Map It) was created on January 13, 1860 from Unorganized area of the Nebraska . It was orginally named West County and on January 09, 1862 the County was renamed Holt County. The county was named in honor of Joseph Holt, a U.S. Postmaster General and U.S. Secretary of War under James Buchanan. Learn More About State of Nebraska History
Holt County is bordered by Boyd County (north), Knox County (east), Antelope County (southeast), Wheeler County (south), Garfield County (south), Loup County (southwest), Rock County (west), Keya_Paha County (northwest).
Holt County Cities and Towns include Atkinson, 'Neill, Amelia, Chambers, Emmet, Ewing, Inman, Page, Stuart.
Holt County Townships include Antelope, Atkinson, Belle, Chambers, Cleveland, Coleman, Conley, Deloit, Dustin, Emmet, Ewing, Fairview, Francis, Golden, Grattan, Green Valley, Holt Creek, Inman, Iowa, Josie, Lake, McClure, Paddock, Pleasant View, Rock Falls, Sand Creek, Saratoga, Scott, Shamrock, Sheridan, Shields, Steel Creek, Stuart, Swan, Verdigris, Willowdale, Wyoming.
A Map of Holt County, Nebraska contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Holt County, Nebraska Courthouse Records
Holt County, NE Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Holt county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Holt County Clerk has Marriage Records from 1878. The County Clerk is responsible for Marriage Licenses and can also be expected to hold delayed birth registrations. Other records of interest to the researcher include military discharges, voter registrations, estray notices, marks and brands, physician’s registers, farm and ranch names, and school registers.
- Holt County Register of Deeds has Land Records from 1862. The County Register of Deeds is responsible for maintaining and securing the land records of the county. The duties include preserving of old land records and maintaining records that have been recorded which include, warranty deeds, mortgages, deeds of trust, plats and any other documents that affect a specific piece of land in the county.
- Holt Clerk of Courts has Probate Records from 1862 and Court Records from 1862. The Clerk of Courts duties include misdemeanor cases, including preliminary hearing in felony cases, civil cases involving less than $45,000, small claims involving less than 1862,400, probate, guardianship, conservatorship, adoption, and eminent domain and function as juvenile courts.
Holt County, Nebraska Census Records
- Learn More: State of Nebraska Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- State Population Schedules: 1860-1885, 1885
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Holt County, Nebraska Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Nebraska Vital Records
- Birth & Death Records: from late 1904 to present
- Marriage & Divorce Records: from January 1909 to present
- Locations: Nebraska Office of Vital Statistics
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Death Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Nebraska Health & Human Services System, Vital Records, 1033 “O” Street, Suite 130, Lincoln, Nebraska, Gold’s Galleria, 1st floor (11th & N Streets); PH (402) 471-2871
Holt County, Nebraska Resources
- Holt County Historical Society
- North Central Nebraska Genealogical Society
- Northern Nebraska Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 362, O'Neill NE 68763
- Holt County, Nebraska Message Boards
- Holt County, Nebraska Genealogy Forum