Liberty County, Montana Genealogy Guide
|Other MT Resources|
| MT Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
MT Ancestor Records
MT Military Databases
MT Data Collections
MT Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Liberty County, Montana (Map It) was created on February 11, 1920 from Chouteau County and Hill County. The county was named for the sentiment of the inhabitants when the county was formed soon after World War I. Learn More About State of Montana History
Liberty County Cities and Towns include Chester. A Map of Liberty County, Montana contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Liberty County, Montana Courthouse Records
Liberty County, MT Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Liberty county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Liberty County Clerk and Recorder has Birth / Death Records from 1920 and Land Records from 1920. The County Clerk and Recorder responsibilities include but are not limited to, recording and maintaining the majority of all the legal documents relating to real estate records, land descriptions, plats and surveys, county birth and death records and the records of the Board of County commissioners.
- Liberty County Clerk of District Court has Marriage / Divorce Records from 1920, Probate Records from 1920 and Court Records from 1920. The County Clerk of District Court is responsible for all District Court records. These records include Adoption, Civil, Criminal, Dependent Neglect, Domestic Relations, Guardianship, Juvenile, Paternity, Probate and Sanity cases. The clerk also issues, files and records all Madison County Marriage license applications and license.
Liberty County, Montana Census Records
- Learn More: State of Montana Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1930, 1940
- U.S. Indian Census Records: 1885-1940
- State Population Schedules: None
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: None
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: None
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: None
- Union Veterans Schedules: None
Liberty County, Montana Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Montana Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from late 1907 to present
- Marriage and Divorce Records: indexes from July 1943 to present. Copies of marriage and divorce records are available from the Clerk of District Court.
- Locations: Montana Office of Vital Statistics
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Office of Vital Statistics, MT Dept. of Public Health and Human Services, 111 North Sanders, Rm 209, Helena, MT 59604-4210; (406) 444-2685
Liberty County, Montana Resources
- Broken Mountain Genealogical Society
- Liberty Co Historical Society
- Montana State Genealogical Society
- Liberty County, Montana Message Boards
- Liberty County, Montana Genealogy Forum