Lewis and Clark County, Montana Genealogy Guide
|Other MT Resources|
|MT Birth, Death, Marriage,
Divorce & Death Records
MT Ancestor Records
MT Military Databases
MT Data Collections
MT Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Lewis and Clark County, Montana (Map It) was created on February 02, 1865 from Montana Territory as a Original County (originally called Edgerton County, name changed December 20, 1867). The county was named in honor of Meriwether Lewis and William Clark, the famous explorers. Learn More About State of Montana History
Lewis and Clark County is bordered by Teton County (north), Cascade County (east), Meagher County (east), Broadwater County, Jefferson County (south), Powell County (west), Flathead County (northwest).
Lewis and Clark County Cities and Towns include Helena, East Helena. A Map of Lewis and Clark County, Montana contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Lewis and Clark County, Montana Courthouse Records
Lewis and Clark County, MT Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Lewis and Clark county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Lewis and Clark County Clerk and Recorder has Birth / Death Records from 1895 and Land Records from 1867. The County Clerk and Recorder responsibilities include but are not limited to, recording and maintaining the majority of all the legal documents relating to real estate records, land descriptions, plats and surveys, county birth and death records and the records of the Board of County commissioners.
- Lewis and Clark County Clerk of District Court has Marriage / Divorce Records from 1865, Probate Records from 1867 and Court Records from 1867. The County Clerk of District Court is responsible for all District Court records. These records include Adoption, Civil, Criminal, Dependent Neglect, Domestic Relations, Guardianship, Juvenile, Paternity, Probate and Sanity cases. The clerk also issues, files and records all Madison County Marriage license applications and license.
Lewis and Clark County, Montana Census Records
- Learn More: State of Montana Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Indian Census Records: 1885-1940
- State Population Schedules: None
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Lewis and Clark County, Montana Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Montana Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from late 1907 to present
- Marriage and Divorce Records: indexes from July 1943 to present. Copies of marriage and divorce records are available from the Clerk of District Court.
- Locations: Montana Office of Vital Statistics
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Office of Vital Statistics, MT Dept. of Public Health and Human Services, 111 North Sanders, Rm 209, Helena, MT 59604-4210; (406) 444-2685