Calhoun County, Mississippi Genealogy Guide
|Other MS Resources|
| MS Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
MS Ancestor Records
MS Military Databases
MS Data Collections
MS Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Calhoun County, Mississippi (Map It) was created on March 8, 1852 from LaFayette County, Yalobusha County and Chickasaw County. The county was named in honor of John C. Calhoun, U.S. Senator from South Carolina and prominent supporter of states' rights . Learn More About State of Mississippi History
Calhoun County Cities and Towns include Bruce, Calhoun City, Derma, Vardaman, Big Creek, Pittsboro, Slate Springs.
A Map of Calhoun County, Mississippi contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Calhoun County, Mississippi Courthouse Records
Calhoun County, MS Courthouse
The Calhoun County Courthouse is located in Pittsboro, Mississippi. The County court house was destroyed by fire on December 22, 1922 all recoreds were destroyed. Five books of land abstracts were saved out of the fire from the chancery clerk's office. These books were begun in 1852 when the county was create. They have valuable genealogical and historical information. They are housed in the chancery clerk's office in Pittsboro, along with transcribed copies. Learn More About State of Mississippi Court, Tax, Land and Probate Records.
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Calhoun county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Calhoun County Chancery Court Clerk has Land Records from 1852, Probate Records from 1922 and Divorce Records from see Clerk. The County Chancery Court Clerk record all documents (warranty deeds, deed of trusts, military discharges, etc) to be in Public Land Records and create and maintain indexes for the documents filed in the land records, such as sectional indexes, direct/reverse indexes, etc. Maintain the Court dockets and file all records of the Court. Record and preserve court minute books. Submit divorce and other statistics to the Mississippi Department of Vital Records.
- Calhoun County Clerk of Circuit Court has Marriage Records from 1922 and Court Records from 1922. The County Clerk of Circuit Court include Receiving and fileing all law suits, indictments, motions and other related papers in all Civil and Criminal Cases filed in the Circuit or County Courts. Keeps a record of all Judgments and Executions, Issues marriage licenses and keeps records of marriages.
- Calhoun County Tax Assessor / Collector maintain original tax records, both real and personal.
- Calhoun County Health Department has birth and death records from November 1, 1912. You may go to any county health department in the State of Mississippi to obtain a certificates can be issued while you wait.
Calhoun County, Mississippi Census Records
- Learn More: State of Mississippi Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1660-1820
- State Population Schedules: State and Territorial Census Collection, 1792-1866
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Calhoun County, Mississippi Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Mississippi Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from November 1, 1912 to present
- Marriage Records: has statistical marriage records only from January 1926 to July 1, 1938, and since January 1942. to present
- Divorce Records: has divorce indexes from January 1926 to present
- Locations: Mississippi Office of Vital Statistics, Mississippi State Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Death Certificate Applications..
- In Person: Mississippi Vital Records, State Dept of Health, 571 Stadium Dr., Jackson, MS 39215; (601) 576-7960
Calhoun County, Mississippi Resources
- Calhoun County Historical & Genealogical Society, Inc.
- Calhoun County, Mississippi Message Boards
- Calhoun County, Mississippi Genealogy Forum