Yellow Medicine County, Minnesota Genealogy Guide
|Other MN Resources|
| MN Birth, Death, Marriage, |
Divorce & Death Records
MN Ancestor Records
MN Military Databases
MN Data Collections
MN Historical Newspapers
Social Security Death Index
Create a Free Family Tree
Yellow Medicine County, Minnesota (Map It) was created on November 7, 1871 (Organized in 1874) from Redwood County. The county was named as a translation of the Dakota name Pajutazee, in reference to yellow-rooted plants used for medicinal purposes found along river. Learn More About State of Minnesota History
Yellow Medicine County is bordered by Lac qui Parle County (north), Chippewa County (northeast), Renville County (east), Redwood County (southeast), Lyon County (south), Lincoln County (southwest), Deuel County, South Dakota (west).
Yellow Medicine County Cities and Towns include Canby, Clarkfield, Echo, Granite Falls, Hanley Falls, Hazel Run, Porter, St. Leo, Wood Lake.
Yellow Medicine County Townships include Burton, Echo, Florida, Fortier, Friendship, Hammer, Hazel Run, Lisbon, Minnesota Falls, Norman, Normania, Omro, Oshkosh, Posen, Sandnes, Sioux Agency, Stony Run, Swede Prairie, Tyro, Wergeland, Wood Lake Townships.
A Map of Yellow Medicine County, Minnesota contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Yellow Medicine County, Minnesota Courthouse Records
Yellow Medicine County, MN Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Yellow Medicine county. The date listed for each category of record is usually the earliest registration filed. The earliest date does not indicate that there are numerous records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually registered.
- Yellow Medicine County Recorder has Birth / Death Records from 1872, Marriage Records from 1872 and Land Records from 1861. The County Recorder is responsible for all the real estate records for properties located in the County. Permanent records of deeds, mortgages and other various real estate records are recorded/filed in this office. As Local Registrar, the office protects and issues certified copies of Birth and Death records, Marriage Certificates & Military Discharge Records.
- Yellow Medicine County Court Administrator has Probate Records from 1874 and Court Records from 1872. The County Court Administrator maintains court files for Civil, Criminal, Traffic, Probate, Conciliation, Juvenile, Tax and Family Court matters.
- Yellow Medicine County Treasurers Office is responsible for keeping a complete accounting of all monies collected and expended by all the county departments. This includes the investing of available funds and accurately distributing the interest received. The department is also responsible for the collection of taxes and distribution to the various taxing entities within the County.
Yellow Medicine County, Minnesota Census Records
- Learn More: State of Minnesota Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- State Census Reconstructed Records: 1835-1890
- State Population Schedules: Territorial and State Censuses, 1849-1905
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Yellow Medicine County, Minnesota Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Minnesota Vital Records
- Birth Records: from January 1900 to present
- Marriage Records: None Check with the Local County Registrar
- Divorce Records: None Check with the Local County Registrar
- Death Records: from January 1908 to present
- Locations: Minnesota Office of Vital Statistics, P.O. Box 64882, St. Paul, MN 55164; (651) 201-5970
- Vital Records Online: USAVital, VitalChek or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Death Certificates Applications.
Yellow Medicine County, Minnesota Resources
- State of Minnesota Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Minnesota
- Yellow Medicine County Historical Society and Museum
- Southwest Minnesota Historical Center
- Yellow Medicine County, Minnesota Message Boards
- Yellow Medicine County, Minnesota Genealogy Forum